QuickBooks error 6190 is a perplexing error code in the QuickBooks program that can show up when a user tries to open a company file in single-user mode. The company file stores all your financial records in the QuickBooks program. When you try to open it in a single-user mode, error 6190 can crop up. The error can crop up due to a number of possible factors.
When you develop further and try to troubleshoot the error, you will experience that knowing the possible reasons behind the problem is important. In this post, you can learn all the important aspects related to the QuickBooks error 6190. Navigate through this full post to learn more.
What is QuickBooks Error 6190?
We have discussed that QuickBooks error 6190 can take place when a user tries to open a company file in a single-user mode. Single user mode is when only one user can access the file at a time. Simultaneous use of multiple users is not possible. If a user tries to access a data file which is already in use, you will get the error message on your screen instantly.
This QuickBooks error can also take place when you have installed multiple instances of QuickBooks on the same computer. The error prevents you from accessing your company records, which can be annoying at times; therefore, needs to get resolved immediately.
Why Does QuickBooks Error 6190 Occur?
Before we jump to the error resolution, let’s discuss the possible reasons that are responsible for causing it:
- The discrepancy between the transaction log (.TLG) file and the QuickBooks company (.QBW) file.
- Incomplete or damaged installation of the QuickBooks program can also bring forth the error 6190 in QuickBooks.
- When your system is infected by malicious viruses or malware programs.
- Damaged or missing program files can also lead to QuickBooks Desktop error 6190.
- When another user is trying to open the company file in single-user mode, the error is certain to occur.
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks Stopped Working Issue
What Are The Symptoms of QuickBooks Company File Access Error 6190?
When QuickBooks error 6190 occurs, an error message appears on your screen that reads- “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file error codes: (-6190, -816).” On the arrival of the error message, you will experience the following changes:
- QuickBooks Desktop starts working lethargically.
- Sluggish the performance of your Windows PC on mouse clicks or keystrokes.
- Other programs might also get affected.
- The system freezes frequently when error 6190 is observed.
How To Eliminate QuickBooks Single-User Mode Error 6190?
QuickBooks error 6190 can take place due to several reasons the suppressing those reasons can help in the removal of the problem:
Solution 1: Repair The Damaged QuickBooks File Registry
Damaged file registry entries in QuickBooks can bring forth the concerning error. To repair:
- Press the Windows key and when the search box opens up, enter the command in it.
- Now press CTRL and Shift keys together.
- Make sure that the log into your system in admin mode. If not, switch it before proceeding any further.
- Thereafter, it will take you to the command prompt. Here, you need to type “Regedit” and hit Enter button.
- You will now see an editor for windows registry opening on your screen wherein, you have to click on the key related to the QuickBooks error 6190.
- Export it and store it on your desktop.
- In the end, follow the on-screen steps to accomplish the task.
2: Repaired Damaged Data Using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is an efficient tool in the QuickBooks application that can fix the common issues related to the company file. You can run QuickBooks File Doctor from QuickBooks Tool Hub. Below are the steps:
- Go to Intuit’s official website and download QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the downloaded file to a folder you can easily access.
- Now go to the download location and double-click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the tool on your system.
- Now open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select Company File Issues.
- Here, you will get the option to run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Run the tool and wait until it identifies and repairs the common damage in the company file. The time taken in this entire procedure depends upon the size of the company file.
Check if the QuickBooks error 6190 is fixed after running the QuickBooks File Doctor. If not, move to the next solution.
3: Bring Quick Fix My Program To Use
Quick Fix My Program is also an important utility in the program that can resolve the common installation issues in the QuickBooks application. QuickBooks Tool Hub is the place to access it. Now that we have already installed Tool Hub, follow the below-given steps:
- From within the Tool Hub, go to the Program Problem tab.
- Now click Quick Fix My Program to refresh the QuickBooks software.
- Wait until the process completes and open the company file again.
If the error continues to annoy you, jump to the next solution.
4: Rename .ND and .TLG Files
Damaged Network Data (.ND) and Transaction Log (.TLG) files can also bring forth QuickBooks company file error 6190 when opening the company file. Renaming these files using the below-given steps can resolve the error:
- First thing first, open the folder containing the QuickBooks company file.
- Now locate the files having .ND and .TLD extensions.
- Locate and right-click on .ND file and select Rename.
- Moving ahead, add .OLD at the end of the file name.
- Once done, repeat the same procedure for the transaction log (.TLG) file.
Once done, ensure that the QuickBooks error 6190 is fixed.
Still Getting Error?
These are some of the most effective solutions to eliminate the error 6190 in the QuickBooks Desktop. However, if you are facing any difficulty in performing the steps, or have any other query related to this error, get in touch with the experienced professionals. Explain to them the error and they will guide you with the best possible solutions and that too in a comprehensive manner.