QuickBooks error 6150 is a commonly occurring error in the program when you try to create, open, or use a QuickBooks company file. The error code falls into the error code series 6000, wherein a user struggles to open the company file. There are various similar instances in the program; however, the reasons behind the issues may differ from one another. To override the issue, you need to look for its possible reasons in the first place. Once determined, you may suppress them one after the other to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6150. Let’s take a tour of this friendly guide and resolve the concerning error when opening the company file.
About QuickBooks Error Message 6150
QuickBooks error 6150 prevents users from accessing their data file, and an error message states the same when the error occurs. It says –
“We’re sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open your company file.”
It means that there is some problem with the company file, which needs your immediate attention. A damaged or corrupt company file can be one of the most apparent reasons behind the error. By navigating through this post until the end, you can find the possible reasons, symptoms, and most effective troubleshooting solutions for QuickBooks error 6150.
What Promotes Error 6150 in QuickBooks?
Now that you are aware of the error code 6150, let’s dig further to unearth the possible reasons behind the error. Check below:
- The main data file with .QBW extension is damaged or corrupt.
- Improper or partial installation of the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- When you try to open a portable file while QuickBooks is not yet opened.
- QuickBooks company file with an erroneous extension.
- Damaged company file due to a virus or malware attack.
- When you need to create a portable backup file.
- Damaged Windows registry in the system
How To Identify QuickBooks Desktop Error 6150? (Symptoms)
QuickBooks company file access error 6150 can be identified with the following symptoms:
- An error message with the error code 6150 appears on the screen.
- The error crashes an active window.
- A problem when opening the QuickBooks company file.
- Sluggish or poor performance of your PC.
- The system crashes every time you attempt to open the same program.
When these symptoms appear, it is time to perform the relevant solutions for the error resolution.
How Can I Resolve QuickBooks Company File Error 6150?
Now that much has been said and discussed for the QuickBooks error 6150, let’s follow the solutions described for the troubleshooting. Here we go!
Solution 1: Check if The Folder Containing Company File Is Damaged
Sometimes, the QuickBooks error 6150, -1006 can take place when the folder containing the QuickBooks company file is damaged. To identify this, try to open the company file from a different location. To do so, you need to create a new folder on your Desktop. Once created, name it QBTEST and then move your company file to this folder.
Thereafter, try to open your data file from this new location. If you are able to open the file, it means that the problem lies within the folder containing the company file, which needs to be repaired. If the error is not resolved by this method, try the next one.
Solution 2: Check If Creating A New Company File Resolves The Error
In this procedure, you have to create a new company file by using the below-given steps:
- The first step is to open the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Now go to the No company open window and then Create a new company.
- Thereafter, navigate through the QuickBooks setup window and provide the required information in the specified boxes.
- Once done, select the Create a company option.
- After that, you can move ahead by creating a chart of accounts, customers, services, and various others.
Solution 3: Restore The Company File Using The Backup
If a damaged company file is causing the QuickBooks error 6150, you can restore your data file using the backup. To do so:
- Open QuickBooks and then go to the File menu.
- Thereafter, click the Open or Restore Company File option.
- Once done, hit Restore a Backup Copy and then click the Next button.
- Now mark the checkbox against Local Backup and click Next.
- Here, you need to locate and select your company file backup.
- Next, click Open and select the Next option to move ahead.
- After that, click Save in the drop-down menu and select a suitable location to save the backup of your company file.
- Here, you need to type the name of your file in the File Name section and hit the Save button.
- When you see the Confirm Save window, click Yes to confirm.
- In the end, click Yes, located underneath the Delete Entire File.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Using Clean Install Utility
Sometimes, the QuickBooks error 6150 can crop up due to the partial or damaged installation of the software. To override this issue, you need to reinstall QuickBooks using the Clean Install utility. Below are the steps:
- Click the Start button on your keyboard and select Control Panel.
- Next, you have to click Uninstall a Program option.
- In this window, select QuickBooks from the list of the installed programs and click Uninstall/Change the app.
- Thereafter, select Uninstall and delete the software by following the on-screen instructions.
- After the deletion, download and run QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- Click I Accept and continue to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Moving ahead, select your QuickBooks version and hit the Continue button.
- Now click OK and install the QuickBooks software and open it once installed.
Solution 5: Reap The Benefits Of QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is an amazing utility in the program that can identify and fix the common issues related to your data file. You can access this utility from QuickBooks Tool Hub. You need to download the latest version of the tool hub in the first place. Follow the below-given steps for the full procedure:
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub and save the file on your Desktop for easy access.
- Next, follow the required steps and agree to the terms and conditions to install it.
- Once the tool hub is installed, open it.
- From within the tool hub, select Company File Issues, as it will enable you run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- After that, click the Browse option to find the company file you want to fix.
- Now let the tool scan your find to identify the possible issues.
- Based on the size of your company file, the tool may take up to 20 minutes to resolve the issues.
Once done, check if the QuickBooks error 6150 is resolved or not.
Solution 6: Make Sure That Your System Is Not Infected With CryptoWall
Error code 6150 in QuickBooks can also take place due to an infection caused due to CryptoWall, which is derived from ransomware. To determine if your system is infected with CryptoWall or not, you need to follow the below-given steps carefully:
- First things first, close all the QuickBooks-related windows to start.
- Next, you need to go to the Company File Directory.
- Here, you need to check if there is any file decrypted or with an extension(txt or HTML).
If no such file is found, you don’t need to worry about the CryptoWall. However, if you find any such files, you need to clean them in order to resolve the error.
If you are struggling with the QuickBooks error 6150 and need to resume the tasks that are interrupted due to the error, this friendly post can help. In case you need further assistance, just get in touch with the expert professionals to get help with the troubleshooting processes. On connecting, you may describe the symptoms of QuickBooks error 6150 and get the best help.