QuickBooks is one of the well-known accounting software that has numerous out-of-the-box features. But sometimes, the users might face a QuickBooks Read Only error. This error mainly takes place while trying to edit a file that has already been configured to read-only mode. It might also evoke due to the System settings issues or corruption in the file. However, if you are also struggling with this Error, you must go through this blog and find the best solution to fix it.
Getting trouble while fixing the Read Only Error in QuickBooks, dial @1855-603-0490 and consult an experienced expert.
What are the Flaws that Evoke QuickBooks Read Only Error?
In this section of the blog, we have provided you with a few common reasons that might promote QuickBooks Read Only Error.
- Some other users might be made some changes in the file and saved it in the read-only mode.
- There might be the possibility that QuickBooks has downloaded the payroll updates by mistake and don’t remove them completely using the Control Panel.
- If you are trying to replace the Company file with another portable file.
- While copying the QuickBooks files from the CD, the default file attribute status might be set to read-only mode.
How to Identify Read-Only Error in QuickBooks?
Let’s now learn how you will recognize the Read Only Error in your QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks Desktop will not respond to your Command.
- Windows operating system starts freezing.
- At times, Windows start crashing while you are working on it.
- QuickBooks show Sluggish behavior.
What are the Steps to Rectify QuickBooks Read Only Error?
Once you recognize the occurrence of an Error in your system, you can move ahead and learn how to fix it effortlessly.
Method 1: Use QuickBooks as Admin
In case you are facing Read Only Error in QuickBooks, then you should first try to access your account as admin and check if the issue is resolved.
- Initially, Close the QuickBooks Software.
- Now, right-click on the QuickBooks icon.
- From the list of options, select Properties, and wait for the properties window to appear on your screen.
- Select the Compatibility button.
- Now, from the privileged level, select Launch This Software in the Adminstartor Mode option.
- Tap on Ok, and launch the QuickBooks Desktop again.
- Lastly, try to Restore the Company File, and check if it is working properly.
Method 2: Restore the Backup File
Now, if your problem can’t be fixed even after running it with Admin credentials, then you have to move to try to restore the Company File. This can also help you in rectifying this Error.
- Launch QuickBooks and go to the Open or Restore Company options.
- Now, try to restore the backup copy of the company file, whose attributes are modified to read-only mode.
- Select the file and choose the suitable location to save this restored backup file. Launch QuickBooks and try to open this restored file.
Note: It is suggested to restore the file to the Company File folder only. This will replace the previous company file with the current one. Although if you don’t want to delete the original file permanently, rename the actual Company File.
Method 3: Modify the Name of the Original Company File while Restoring the Backup
Resolve your QuickBooks Read Only Error by renaming the original company file.
- Start the process by navigating to the Company File Folder, and find the Company File for which the backup is being restored.
- Move ahead by right-clicking on that Company file.
- Thereafter select Rename, and modify the file name by adding .old at the end of it, just before the.qbw extensions.
- Now, restore the backup of the company file.
- Next, open QuickBooks, try to open the restored file and check if the Error is fixed.
Method 4: Delete the Read-only Attributes
Alternatively, you can also follow the instructions mentioned below to remove all the read-only attributes from your Company File.
- Begin the process by launching Windows Explorer, then navigate to the Company File Folder.
- After that, find the company file for which you are facing the Error and right-click on it.
- Select properties, followed by choosing the General option.
- Now, unmark the Read-only box present in the General tab.
- Next, tap on Ok, and click the Save Button.
- These steps will completely modify the attribute of the company file.
- Now, open QuickBooks and tap on Open or Restore Company.
- Hit on the Browser and click on the Company file again to find if the Error is resolved perfectly.
Summing it up!
In this blog, we have listed all the ways that can help you eliminate the QuickBooks Read Only Error. In case of any additional help, simply consult a professional using the Help box provided below. You can also email us your Queries @ email@example.com. We are available all around the clock to assist people who need help; thus, feel free to contact us.