There might be certain instances when the vendors have to return the customer’s money when they have overpaid. For that, they have to enter customer refund in QuickBooks Online. Moreover, keeping the proper records of vendor refunds won’t generate confusion while making payments. In this detailed post, we have described proper stepwise instructions to enter a customer refund.
Encountering issues while trying to enter customer refund in QuickBooks? Ring us at @1855-603-0490 and talk to our professionals to quickly resolve your query.
Table of Contents
Instructions to to Record a Customer Refund in QuickBooks Online
If you are hunting for the proper instructions to enter customer refund in QuickBooks Online, don’t worry. Instead, go through the steps written below to accomplish the process.
Stage 1: Enter the Refund For Your Customer
- Primarily, select the + New option and then opt for the Expense, Add Expense, or Check option.
- After this, act according to the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Next, navigate to the Payee drop-down menu and pick the customer you wish to refund.
- Furthermore, you must select the appropriate bank account where you wish to deposit your overpayment.
- You must opt for the “Account Receivable” option from the first line of the Category column.
- Now, you must insert the refund amount that you wish to pay to the customer within the Amount field.
- Once you are done, complete all the other relevant text fields.
- Finally, save and close to restore the required changes.
Stage 2: Connect the Refund to the Customer’s Credit or Overpayment
- Begin the process by clicking on the + New option.
- After this, navigate to the Receive Invoice Payment or Receive
- Payment option.
- You are supposed to pick the same customer which you used for check/expense.
- Now, you must add the other relevant details within the required text fields.
- Following this, mark the Check For Expense checkbox that you have created beneath the section “Outstanding Transaction.”
- Later on, verify whether the payment is equal to your opening balance.
- Finally, hit the Save and Close option to restore the mandatory changes that you have made.
Refund For the Goods or Services Which Don’t Satisfy The Customer
You can issue refund receipts when a customer demands an item or service. Whenever the refund check is given to the customer, then it will eventually deduct the amount from your bank account. Moreover, it also reduces the income account if the customer won’t return the item.
- Firstly, you must hit the + New option and opt for the highlighted Refund Receipt option.
- After this, drag your cursor toward the Customer drop-down menu and pick the customer you desire to refund.
- Now, choose the bank account in which you deposited the invoice payment. For that, tap on the Refund From drop-down menu.
- You are supposed to mention all products or services the customer returned within the Product/Service column.
- Ensure you have inserted the appropriate date, quantity, rate amount, Tax, and other fields accurately. Later on, opt for the highlighted Save and Close option.
Stepwise Instructions to Refund a Customer’s Overpayment or Credit
It is feasible to record a refund to your customer via Check or Expense in the following circumstances:
- If they wish to redeem their open credits.
- The customer has paid in advance for an order but canceled it before getting the goods or services.
- You can pay by check if they wish to reimburse an accidental overpayment.
Wrapping It Up!!
Hopefully, we ensure that now you can easily enter customer refund in QuickBooks Online without any inconvenience. However, if you get stuck at any stage, you can connect with our experts, who are available round the clock via a live chat. Alternatively, you can also send a message to your professionals and obtain instant help to your query.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s):-
Q1. How Can you refund a customer if you have already paid an invoice?
Ans. You must implement the steps below to refund your customer’s money when the invoice is already paid.
- Initially, navigate to the + New icon, followed by the Credit Memo option.
- You must pick the appropriate customer by accessing the Customer field.
- Next, add the Credit Memo Date, Product/Service, Tax, and Amount.
- Finally, opt for the highlighted Save and Close buttons.
Q2. What are the steps to apply a vendor credit to a bill?
Ans. It is possible that you can apply vendor credit to any open future bill. Go through the steps given below to utilize the vendor credit.
- To begin with, tap on the + New icon and choose the highlighted Pay Bills option.
- You must pick the bills for your vendors from the list of options available.
- Herein, you will get the list of all the available credits and the particular vendor.
- Fill out the rest of the fields correctly to end the process.
Q3. What Should I do to generate a Credit memo in QBO?
Ans. Initially, move to the Customers menu and opt for the Create Credit Memos/Refunds option. After this, pick the customer from the Customer: Job drop-down menu. Later on, add the items that have been credited and hit the Save & Close option.
Q4. How Can You Record a Return in QuickBooks?
Ans. Read the steps below to record a return in QuickBooks.
- Firstly, move to the Orders option located below the Sales Orders option.
- You must look for the Sales Order for which you desire to make a return.
- Afterwards, opt for the Return option and add the return details properly.
- Later on, for making the Return, list the item quantity and hit Save button to restore the changes.