QuickBooks is the top accounting software that is used by millions of people across the globe. From small-scale businesses to large entrepreneurs, everybody uses the software due to its advanced financial features. However, dealing with the daunting QuickBooks errors irritates the users. The QuickBooks errors are unbearable and unacceptable as they can create blunders in the business. One such error that the users encounter is QuickBooks error 15214. However, these errors can be easily resolved by using simple yet effective solutions.
Stuck in QuickBooks Error Code 15214? Call our experts today @ +1-855-603-0490 & Get a pocket-Friendly, Feasible Solution.
If you, too, have encountered the critical payroll error 15214 in QuickBooks, then this content is for you. This blog explains the root causes that trigger the error, along with the various troubleshooting methods to resolve the error. However, before directly jumping to the technical part, let us have a brief overview of the error.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks error 15214?
The QuickBooks 15214 error belongs to 15xxx error series. It is one of the most common update errors which the users reported while using the software. Most users normally face the error when they are trying to download and install the QuickBooks update. Since it is an update error, it can occur at any time during the installation, updating, or opening of the application. The users encounter the error while they are trying to download a payroll update; henceforth, it is also known as the payroll update error.
The Root Causes of QuickBooks Error 15214
Knowing the exact reasons behind the Payroll update error 15214 will help you in choosing the right solution to the problem. Here, we have pinned down some of the common yet most prominent reasons that trigger the error to occur. Let us have a look at the various root causes of the error:
- Internet Explorer’s improper settings.
- An outdated Digital Signature Certificate.
- There is a malware or virus attack on the system.
- An Inactive QB file service copy.
- The corrupted or incomplete window registry components.
- There is an improper installation of QuickBooks.
- An unstable internet connection.
- The incomplete installation of QuickBooks.
- Some of the important files of QuickBooks accidentally got deleted or got corrupted.
- The missing or damaged components of the Microsoft .Net Framework, MSXML, or C++.
- Trying to install the new QuickBooks without deleting the old one.
Things to Perform Before the Troubleshooting Method
Before implementing any of the troubleshooting methods to fix the error, consider creating a backup of the company files. It prevents the loss of important data. To create the backup of the company files, just follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the QuickBooks and go to the company files.
- In the company files, click on the backup company option.
- Select the option whether you want to create the local backup or the online backup.
- Pick the local backup and navigate to the location where you want to store the company files.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
How to Fix the QuickBooks error 15214?
No wonder the top accounting software is prone to errors. However, these errors can be easily resolved by following some of the simple solutions. Below we are providing simple solutions to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Payroll update error 15214.
Solution 1: Activate the File Copy Service
The main reason behind the occurrence of the error is the inactive file copy service. The error can be easily resolved by enabling the file copy service. Let us have a look at the steps that will help you in activating the file copy service:
- To initiate the troubleshoot procedure, open start menu by clicking on the window button and look for the control panel.
- Open the control panel and double-click on the services option to open it.
- Scroll down and choose the Inuit QuickBooks File service option (FCS).
- Double-click on it to open the properties window of the FCS.
- Once the properties window is opened, look for the startup type and change it to Manual from Disabled.
- To configure the changes, tap on the “Apply” button, followed by the “OK.”
Solution 2: Add the Intuit as the Trusted Website
The Internet exploration takes the Inuit and the QB website as an outsider. Therefore, it is very much essential to add the Inuit website as the trusted website in your web browser to resolve the 15214 error in QuickBooks. Below mentioned steps will help you in adding the Intuit website to your web browser:
- Click the three dots that are available in the top right corner of Internet Explorer once it has opened..
- Pick the tools from the drop-down menu. After that, select the internet options.
- Click the security tab now.
- In this, choose the trusted site option and add the trusted website URL by clicking on the site button.
- After adding the sites, close the dialogue box.
- By selecting the apply changes button, you can confirm the modifications.
- Close the Window. Open QuickBooks and see if the problem has been fixed.
Solution 3: Update the QuickBooks Desktop
In case you are not using the latest version of the application, you will face the error. The best way to resolve the error is to update the QuickBooks desktop at the regular interval of time. Below mentioned steps will help you in installing the latest updates:
- Open QuickBooks and navigate to the Update Now option.
- The Update QuickBooks Window will appear on the screen.
- Now select “Get Updates” from the menu.
- The latest updates will be automatically downloaded and installed in your system.
- Once the update procedure is over, restart the system.
- Open the QuickBooks and check out if the issue is resolved.
Solution 4: Install the Digital Signature certificate
As cited earlier, an outdated digital signature certificate can lead to a common update error. The proper installation of the digital certificate will resolve the error. Before implementing this step, make sure that you have stable high-speed internet. The steps to install the digital certificate are listed below:
- Open the application and then navigate to the edit menu.
- After that, you have to select the preferences option.
- In that, pick the security and privacy option, which usually appears on the left side of the Window.
- Now, select the Install certificate option, which appears in the security and privacy window.
- It will open a new window. Browse to the location where you have stored the digital certificate. Now, click on the “Open” button to upload the certificate.
- To save the new changes tap on the “OK” button.
- Once the certificate is uploaded, restart the application and see whether the issue is resolved or not.
Solution 5: Perform a Clean Install
You can resolve the 15214 error in QuickBooks by performing the clean installation for QuickBooks Desktop. The steps that you need to follow to resolve the error are:
- Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop
- Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop from your system completely. From the “Add or Remove the Program” menu, you can remove the program.. To go to the same, first, go to the control panel and then the programs and features option.
- Delete the QuickBooks Folder
- Once you have deleted the application, you need to delete the QuickBooks folder. You can find the folder in the “Program folder” files in the C drive (Main drive). Look out for the QuickBooks folder and delete it.
- Eliminate the Entries from the Registry
- Remove all the QuickBooks-related entries from the registry by using the registry cleaner tool. The tool fixes all the errors and cleans the registry.
- Install the QuickBooks Desktop
- Once you have performed all the above-mentioned steps, you need to reinstall the application in your system. To install the software again, insert the CD into your system and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
Solution 6: Edit the Internet Explorer Settings
The wrong internet explorer settings will also result in the error. Restoring the internet explorer settings to the state they were at the time of installation is important. It will debug the errors that have arisen due to the changed internet settings. Follow the below-mentioned steps to edit the internet explorer settings:
- Tap on the internet explorer icon to open it, and click on the gear icon or the three dots at the top right corner.
- Select the internet options from the available drop-down menu.
- After that, you have to pick the tools option and then go to the advance tab.
- In the reset internet explorer settings, pick the reset option and put the tick mark on the dialogue box stating, “Are you sure you want to reset all internet explorer settings”?
- To configure the changes click on the “Apply” option.
- Close the Window once the explorer has finished applying default settings.
- Restart the system and look out if the issue is resolved.
Solution 7: Safe Mode Download
You can resolve the error by downloading the updates in the safe mode. The steps listed below will assist you in carrying out the same task.
- Press the Window+R keys together to open the Window dialogue box.
- Enter the search term “msconfig” into the search box..
- The System Config window will appear. In the System config window, navigate to the boot tab.
- After that, check the safe mode with networking and tap on the “apply” button.
- You will get a notification window with the statement “You must restart your system to apply these changes.”
- Click on the restart now.
- Once the system restarts in the safe mode, try to download QuickBooks updates in the safe mode.
Solution 8: Check the Firewall and the Antivirus settings
You might encounter a payroll update error if there is a conflict between the antivirus and the QuickBooks. The error also occurs when the Windows firewall is not configured properly in your system. To troubleshoot the problem, make sure that you have properly configured the firewall settings. Also, you must temporarily disable the Antivirus settings and allow the updates to install properly. Follow the below-mentioned steps to resolve the error that arises due to the network protection:
- Click on the start button and look out for the settings.
- Open the settings folder and select the update and security options.
- After that, pick the Windows Security tab option available on the left pane of the Window.
- Select the open Windows security option available in the Windows security tab.
- In that, pick the Firewall and Network Protection option.
- Now you have to click on the Domain, Private, and Public Network one by one and switch off the “Microsoft Defender Firewall” in all networks.
- Close the Window and restart the system to check if the issue is resolved.
Rectifying the QuickBooks error is not a big task. Carry out the above-mentioned methods to resolve payroll error 15214 in QuickBooks without any hassle. However, if the error is not fixed by applying these procedures, then you can seek the advice of our experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q – Can I get support to resolve the QuickBooks error 15214?
A – Yes. In case you are still unable to resolve the QuickBooks issue even after applying the above-mentioned methods, you can contact our experts. They will be happy to help you. You can contact them via email, phone, or chat.
Q – Do I need to uninstall the application to resolve the issue?
A – Uninstalling and reinstalling the application is the last thing that you must perform to resolve the issue. Implement the above-mentioned procedure to resolve the issue. If the error is not resolved, then you can uninstall and reinstall the application.
Q – What causes unrecoverable errors in QuickBooks Desktop?
A – You may receive an unrecoverable error due to missing Windows updates, damaged or corrupted data, or system issues.
Q – How can I resolve the unrecoverable errors in QuickBooks?
A – You can resolve the unrecoverable errors in QuickBooks by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the company file.
- Make the backup of the data.
- Go to the menu option and update the QuickBooks.
- Run the file utility.