QuickBooks is one of the most effective accounting software that is so widely used amongst companies of all sizes. Be it big or small; companies rely on QuickBooks desktop. While beneficial, it also has its own limitations. QuickBooks is also prone to a number of errors and issues. QuickBooks error 15271 is one such error.
In this blog, we shall discuss this particular error that occurs when you try to update, install or repair QuickBooks. Before we get into the resolution part of this particular error, we might want to understand better what exactly is the QuickBooks Payroll Error and how we can successfully navigate it.
What exactly is QuickBooks Payroll error 15271?
The QuickBooks Error 15271 occurs when you are trying to update/ install the QuickBooks Desktop version, i.e, the Pro/Payroll or Desktop. The QuickBooks Error 15271 is as it appears below.
What can cause the QuickBooks Payroll Error 15271?
- Either a corrupt download or fragmented establishment of QuickBooks Pro software.
- A corrupt or damaged Windows Registry
- Infectious Virus or Malware
- A wrongly erased program
- Incorrect or improper settings of Internet Explorer browser
Solutions to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 15271
Solution 1: Switch Off the UAC in Windows
To resolve this particular problem, you need to turn off the User Accounts Control in Windows.
Switching Off UAC in Windows Vista
- First of all, select the Windows option
- After that, choose the Control Panel
- Thereafter, you need to type UAC in the search dialog box. After that, hit the Enter Key button.
- Now, click on the User Account Control either ON or OFF.
- Click on the OK option
- After that, reboot your device once
Switching in Windows 7, 8 and 10
- First of all, access the Control panel settings
- In Windows 7, you have to choose the Start option and then go to Control Panel.
- In Windows 8, you will have to type the Control panel in the Start menu and then click on the Control Panel.
- Enter UAC in the search box
- Click on “Change User Account Settings.”
- In order to turn off the UAC, you need to move the slider to the “Never Notify” option
- After that, click on Ok. If the system prompts you for the Admin password or the confirmation, then you need to provide the password or the confirmation.
- Now click on the option “turn on your UAC”.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
Solution 2: System Registry
- First things first, open the command prompt
- After that, you need to regedit in it
- Thereafter, hit the enter key
- Then, you need to choose the failure 15271 option from the list
- After that, select the export option
- Consequently, choose the folder where you want to save the data
- Delete all the files and data from the system that are not necessary
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks error 15270
Solution 3: Selective Start-Up
Damaged QuickBooks files is one of the major reasons behind QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15271. Fixing these is the first step in the direction of solving this problem.
- Firstly, you should create a backup of the company file
- Also, you should keep copies of QuickBooks Desktop and product license separately.
- Press Windows and R keys together. It shall open the Run window
- Fill in MSConfig and then click on OK
- From the General Tab, Choose Selective Startup and Load System Services
- Choose Hide All Microsoft Services from the Services tab
- Finally, select the Disable All option
- Then, you should subsequently uncheck the Hide All Microsoft Services
- Ensure that the Windows Installer Checkbox is checked from the services list. In case it is not, do check mark the option
- Click on OK
- Thereafter, finally choose the Restart option from the System Configuration Window
Also, you can uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks files through the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool and then switch to the normal mode.
Solution 4: Payroll Tax table
- First of all, select the Employees option and then choose the Get Payroll Updates option
- Thereafter, check the Download Entire Update option
- Next, select Download Latest Update. After the download is done, you would get an informational window on the screen
Solution 5: Update QuickBooks Desktop
There might be a possibility of using an outdated version of the QuickBooks Desktop and thus facing the error. When you encounter the QuickBooks Error 15271 while updating the payroll, you must apply this solution of manually updating QuickBooks Desktop
- At the outset, From under the file tab, you should run the QuickBooks application and then press the Close Company/Log Off option.
- After that, select the Exit option from the File tab
- Thereafter, you need to go to the Desktop and then right-click on the QuickBooks icon and try running it as an Administrator
- Next, QuickBooks will display the No Company Open message. After this message, pick the Help option and then select the Update QuickBooks option
- From the Options menu, tap on the Mark All option and then click on the Save option to save all the changes
- Thereafter, you need to check the Reset update option from the Update Now menu
- Consequently, tap on the Get Updates option, and after QuickBooks shows the Update Now option, you need to close the application
- Subsequently, run the QuickBooks Desktop application again and then tap on the Yes and Install Updates Popup
- After all the updates are done, try restarting your system to see whether the issue has been resolved
Also Read : Quickbooks error 15103
So, this is it about the QuickBooks error 15271. We have talked about the factors that cause this particular problem and how you can navigate it successfully. You can follow the above-mentioned solutions if you should face this QuickBooks Error 15271.
Although we have listed the probable solutions, you might also want to consider a situation where none of these methods work. In that case, you need to seek professional help or support. Should you face any such situation, we would urge you to reach out to us. Our team of skilled & certified professionals is ever ready to take up any of your problems and provide a quick fix to your issues. Please visit our website and send us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What should you do before you you start fixing the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15271?
Ans. Before you start performing the troubleshooting of the QuickBooks Error 15271, you should ideally create a backup of the company file. In order to do so, you must adhere to the following steps:
- First and foremost, you need to launch the QuickBooks Desktop
- Access the File option next and then hit the option named “Backup Company.”
- Then, click on the option named Build Local Backup
- As a final step, follow the instructions on the screen in order to create a backup of the company file.
Q2. Can turning off the UAC fix the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15271?
Ans. Yes, switching the UAC off can definitely fix the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15271.
Q3. Can a damaged registry file be responsible for the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15271?
Ans. Yes, definitely. A corrupt or damaged registry file can cause QuickBooks to display the payroll update Error 15271.
Q4. Would updating Payroll Tax table be of any help in troubleshooting the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15271?
Ans. Yes, it could be. Updating a payroll Tax table is one of the troubleshooting methods that can help in fixing the QuickBooks Error 15271.