The QuickBooks Online error 101 is a common scripting error in the accounting application preventing its connectivity with the bank accounts. The error usually occurs due to incompatibility between the Windows operating system and some web-based programs. What exactly happens is the window cannot completely run the command that is required to execute any web-based application. This is due to the dysfunctionality of certain programs in the operating system like the .NET framework, ActiveX, Flash Player, and many others through which any applications of your system access various web-based features.
Error code 101 in QuickBooks can establish a barrier in the connectivity between the bank and the accounting application, which might create hurdles in the user’s daily work. So, here are going to list all available information regarding QuickBooks Error code 101 and different methods on how to fix them.
Table of Contents
Why Am I Receiving QuickBooks Error Code 101?
Various factors are there that can contribute to trigger Error code 101 in QuickBooks. From operating system malfunction to web settings, all of the reason why user gets the message Error 101 on their screen are listed below:
- The first and foremost cause is the incapacity of the window to run particular programs for executing web-based applications. These software/programs include the Flashplayer, .NET framework, ActiveX, and various other parts of the window to run different online-based applications like QuickBooks.
- Issue with the Internet Explorer settings due to which QuickBooks is unable to connect with the internet.
- QuickBooks users might have tried to import data/files from a non-existing account, which might trigger QuickBooks Error 101.
- Corrupted or damaged files in the accounting application can also lead to trigger Error code 101 in QuickBooks.
- Unwanted files like a Bug, trojan, or malware file in the system can also trigger QuickBooks Online Error 101.
- Outdated versions of various window components like the .NET framework can also trigger QuickBooks online Error 101.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 101
Based on the particular that has contributed to triggering Error 101 in QuickBooks, different measures can be taken by the users to fix this online 101. The majority of the resolution methods deal with making changes with Internet Explorer. Different methods to fix error code 101 are discussed in detail below. Read the given solutions carefully, detect the reason why you are receiving Error code 101 in your system, and take the desired resolution based on it.
Make required changes in Internet Explorer to Troubleshoot Error 101
Following changes need to be made in the Internet Explorer browser so that QuickBooks online will be compatible with the operating system and can easily establish the connection:
Add QuickBooks Online to your trusted website
Security issues can be a key reason why user cannot access QuickBooks online in their system. For this, you need to add QuickBooks online in your trusted sources, steps for which are listed below:
- To fix QuickBooks Error code 101, you need to access the browser setting first (Gear Icon).
- From the settings, hit the Security Tab and then click on Trusted Sites.
- Under the site option, you need to add the following websites:
- Afterward, hit the close button.
- Now, in the same security tab, locate the section “Custom Level” and then hit the option “Miscellaneous.”
- Afterwards, you need to enable the cross-domain request. Hit the button Apply and then click OK.
- Once the changes have been made, relaunch the browser and check whether Error 101 has been fixed or not.
Clear the SSL Certificates
Clearing the SSL certificate will remove the website cache data. This will delete all the unnecessary data, which might be creating obstruction, creating a network connection. Follow the given steps to clear the SSL certificates:
- In order to clear the SSL certificates, you need to access the browser settings. For this, click on the gear icon on the browser homepage.
- On the pop-up window of Internet Explorer or your default browser settings menu, hit the “Content” tab.
- Afterwards, navigate to the option “Clear SSL state” and click on it.
- Now, hit the option OK in order to save changes.
Reset the Internet Explorer
Another measure to fix error code 101 in QuickBooks is that you reset the default browser settings. In order to make any changes in Internet Explorer, you need to access the settings. Afterwards, you can follow the steps below to reset the Explorer browser pop-up settings:
- In the settings window of the default browser, click on the privacy tab. There, you need to hit on the Advanced option and mark the checkbox next to the option Override Automatic Cookie Handling option.
- Afterward, hit the check mark on the option “Always Allow Session Cookies.”
- Finally, hit the button OK to save changes.
Configure the TLS setting in the Internet Explorer
In order to properly execute the web-based application in your system, another measure that you can take is to configure the Transport Layer Security setting in the browser. Along with that, you need to make adjustments through which the encrypted files will be automatically saved.
- Open the browser setting, and hit the Advanced tab. In this, mark the check box near the option “ Use TSL 1.2.” & “Do Not Save Encrypt Page to Disk.”
- Click Apply and then OK to make further changes.
Fix the .NET Framework to Fix QuickBooks Online Error Code 101
Incompatibility of the Windows operating system with various minor programs like the .NET framework to run other application can trigger Error Code 101 in QuickBooks. Therefore, you need to make sure that the following components of the windows are updated to their latest version:
- .NET Framework
- Flash Player
Update QuickBooks Online Banking
Along with various components of the operating system to run web-based applications, you need to update the accounting application itself. Particularly, to fix error 101 in QuickBooks, you have to update the banking section. For that, open the banking section on the QuickBooks dashboard, where you can easily locate the “Update” that will automatically update the online baking in the QuickBooks application.
Make changes in the Banking section of QuickBooks Online
Further steps to detect and fix the QuickBooks online error 101 through online banking are listed below:
Login through your Bank Website
To check the source due to which Error code 101 in QuickBooks is occurring, you need to access your online banking account and see if your online banking is working properly or not. For this, you have to go to the banking website and see if you can log in without any error.
- In case you cannot log in, that means the banking server is down, which can be the reason for the connectivity issue.
- If you can log in properly, then there is a problem with your browser or other components of the window or your internet connection for which you need to do basic troubleshooting.
Check your Bank Account Status
Account active status can also be responsible for creating obstruction while connecting QuickBooks with your banking account. Therefore, it is necessary to check whether your account is active or not. Usually, if any account has any transaction within 12 months, then it will be considered. Check for the last transaction.
Also, if you face any trouble even after that, like login issues or any other, then you have to contact your bank immediately.
Check for any Missing Prompts in your banking account
By prompts, we are referring to various notifications, messages, or any other prompts that require your confirmation. These prompts might be related to some validation through which to keep your account up-to-date. Therefore, any missing prompts might lead to the dysfunctionality of your account and create various hindrances like login issues or major problems like Error 101. Once you have accepted various prompts, you need to wait for a specific time and then run QuickBooks online and create a connection with your bank accounts.
Ending It Up
Various causes due to which QuickBooks online error 101 occurs are related to browser dysfunctionality and configuration issues with various components of the Windows operating system. To fix these, first, you need to troubleshoot browser issues and after that check your online banking activity. Taking the following measures based on the source that is causing Error Code 101 can easily rectify the issues. However, if the issue still persists, then connect with us through our QuickBooks helpline number or Live chat, where we are available 24/7 to assist you with any issues with your accounting application.
A1: Error 101 is a scripting error that occurs when the operating system is not able to execute any particular command to run a web-based application like QuickBooks online. This error comes under the category of scripting errors.
A2: The major reason why user receives Error 101 messages on their screen is the failed components of Windows like Flashplayer, .NET Framework, Java, and many others. To fix these, you need to update these components to the latest version. Another reason that creates these issues is the browser issues, for which you need to take basic troubleshooting measures with the browser.
A3: To fix QuickBooks error code 101, you need to make certain adjustments to your browser settings and also update all the components of the Operating system.
A4: Script Errors are common errors that occur while accessing a web-based application in our system. This error indicates that there is a problem occurring while executing a command through which any application cannot utilize a web-based feature.
A5: No, even if you reinstall, you can troubleshoot the issues of Error code 101 in QuickBooks as it involves various components of the operating system like the .NET framework and flash player.