QuickBooks is the most reliable accounting software widely used across the globe. However, despite being advanced accounting software, the multi-facet application needs several other background services to work properly. QBCFMonitorService is one of the critical services used by the application. However, most of the users face the QBCFMonitorService not running issue when they try to run the QB database server manager to set up the multi-user mode. It is important to rectify the error as soon as possible as it leads to several other issues.
Facing QBCFMonitorService not running error? Talk to Our Experts @+1-855-603-0490 & Get Instant Solutions.
The critical error forces the company file monitor service to stop suddenly, which in turn hampers the functioning of various functions of the accounting software. If you, too, come across such an issue, then do read the complete blog in order to resolve the issue. This blog covers the various aspects of a critical error, including its causes, symptoms, and a step-by-step guide to rectify the error.
Table of Contents
Brief Overview of QBCFMonitorService not running on server error
The QBCFMonitorservice is a program file that is associated with the 2009 version of QB Pro. The executable file is crucial as it holds the information which instructs the system to perform the various functions. Commonly known as the QuickBooks Company file monitor service, the file is stored within the installation directory and allows the QB to run in multi-user mode. It also allows to connect workstation computers to link with a file on a server. You can easily find the file at C:\Program Files\Common File\Intuit\QuickBooks.
The users face the error when the executable file has stopped working. An error window stating” QBCFMonitorService not running on this Computer” will appear on the screen.
Causes that Trigger QBCFMonitorService not running error
Usually, the occurrence of this error indicates that the .exe file has stopped working on your system. As this file is necessary to run the application, an error in it brings the whole application to a halt. Apart from it, there are several factors that trigger this critical error. Below we have mentioned some of the prominent reasons which cause this error:
- The interference of the Windows firewall or the third-party antivirus with the accounting software raises the issue.
- A virus or malware has corrupted the executable file.
- Errors in the Windows registry results in this critical issue.
- The server on which the QB is installed is not set up properly and is unable to host the company file in a multi-user environment.
- Some other programs have deleted the necessary executable file.
- The antivirus or the firewall has blocked the QB database server manager.
- In case you are using the outdated version of the QB database on the system and server.
- Due to some reason, the server has stopped hosting the file, or the service terminates unexpectedly.
Knowing the right cause will help the user in picking the right solution to eliminate their problem from its roots.
Symptoms to Identify the QBCFMonitorService not running Error
Now, you have a brief overview of the error along with its prominent causes. Let us have a look at the various signs which indicate the occurrence of the error. With the help of the below-listed signs, you can easily identify the error.
- You will receive an error message stating the error.
- You can not access the company file in multi-user mode.
- You are unable to connect to the company file hosted on the server system.
- You are unable to use some functions of the application effectively.
- The application freezes suddenly.
Top Solutions to Resolve QBCFMonitorService not running error
Before we jump to the various troubleshooting methods, you must first create a backup of the important company files to prevent data loss. Also, you must keep the installation CD of Windows and the serial number of QB handy.
There is more than one solution available to the problem. You can pick anyone depending on the cause of the problem. Let us dive deep into the pool of solutions.
Method 1: Update the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
An outdated QB database server manager is one of the prominent factors behind this error. Follow the below-listed instructions to update the QB database server manager so that you can easily access the company files:
- Check out the latest available version of QB database serve manager for your application.
- Open the QB to install the latest update along with its patches.
- Click on the Help menu and then press the update QuickBooks option to get the latest updates.
- After that, tap on the update QuickBooks and put a tick mark on the box stating “QuickBooks releases and Features.”
- Once the update is installed on your system, restart the application on the server and system and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Method 2: Enable the QuickBooks Multi User Hosting on Server
If you are trying to access a file whose hosting is disabled on the server, then you will encounter the QBCFMonitorService not running error on your system. Take help from the below-mentioned steps to enable multi-user hosting on the server.
- Open the QB application and press the File menu option.
- From the available options in the drop-down menu, pick the utility option.
- Hover your cursor over utilities, and select the host multi-user access option from the available options.
- In the confirmation box, tap the “Yes” button to move ahead in the process. Please ensure that you are enabling the service on the server only and that the multi-user hosting is not running on any other workstation computers.
- To ensure, open the QB and choose the File menu.
- Check if the switch to a single-user mode option is available. If it is, then the QB is running in multi-user mode, and you have to switch to single-user mode.
- If not, then the application is already running in single-user mode. In this scene, you need not make any other changes.
Method 3: Configure the Windows and Third Party Firewalls
Many times the firewall fails to recognize QuickBooks as a trusted site. If such a scene arises, then you need to make an exception. Go with the below-mentioned traits to configure the windows and third-party firewalls:
- Open the run dialogue box of the server system and type cmd command.
- A black window will be displayed on your screen. Write “IPConfig” in the window and press the enter key. The IP address of the system will be displayed on the system.
- After that, you need to open the command prompt of the system, which is affected by the error.
- Write PING and press the enter key to check the connectivity.
- Once the command is executed, your system will send four packets to the server to verify if the server receives them.
- In case the server receives the packet, it will reply back to your system.
- However, if there is a packet loss, it indicates the network configuration issue, which needs to be addressed immediately.
Method 4: Set Up QuickBooks Database Manager Service
You can resolve the critical error by setting up QuickBooks database manager service. Take help from the below-mentioned steps to rectify the error:
- To open the run command of the system, press the window + R key together.
- Write “services.msc” in the search box and press the enter key.
- A window will appear having the list of services.
- From the available list, find the “QuickBooks DBXX” service to alter its properties.
- If the service status is marked as “stopped,” right-click on the services and pick the properties option.
- Change the startup type from automatic to manual under the general tab.
- Moving ahead in the process, navigate to the Log on tab, and change the options from this account to local system account.
- After that, you need to go to the recovery tab and select the restart this service option from the first, second, or subsequent failure.
- To configure the changes, finally, click on the “Apply” button followed by the “OK” button.
To Wrap it Up
We understand that the users get frustrated when they receive the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error. In this blog, we have tried to summarize all the tried and tested methods to rectify this critical error. We hope that the above-mentioned methods help you and you will be able to troubleshoot the problem without any issues. However, if you got stuck anywhere in the process, do call our nerds immediately. They will help you in resolving your issue instantly, and that too at the best price. So, don’t waste your valuable time searching.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q – What is a QuickBooks Monitor Service?
A – QuickBooks monitor service tracks the new company files. It makes them ready to update with the newest release.
Q – Is creating a backup of the company files necessary before implementing the troubleshooting methods?
A – Yes, it is advisable to create a backup of the company files as they hold crucial data regarding your business. It is a good step to prevent the data loss.
Q – why am I receiving the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error?
A – There are various factors that trigger this critical error. All the issues, along with the troubleshooting solutions, are already explained in this blog. You can take help from our experts to resolve the error.