QuickBooks search not working is a strange issue in the program that hinders users from accessing the search feature of the QuickBooks application. If you need to search for anything in QuickBooks, this tool comes in handy for the users. You can locate this tool with a lens icon in the program. When using this tool, you may get this error all of a sudden.
There can be varied reasons that can evoke this error in the program. When the error occurs, you will have to find things manually, consuming more time. However, navigating this post until the end can save you from this annoyance by presenting the best solutions for the error resolution.
Table of Contents
What Does Error “QuickBooks Search Not Working” Mean?
The arrival of the QuickBooks search is not working error can make the program freeze or hang. There is a magnifying glass option in the QuickBooks search bar, which shows the program’s search option. This feature allows users to search customers, files, transactions, and various others.
However, when the error occurs, you won’t be able to access your files with ease. You will have to search various elements manually. To get rid of this error, you need to resolve it by implementing the relevant solutions.
What Are The Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Search Not Working?
The error mainly occurs when you haven’t updated QuickBooks to the latest maintenance release. However, there is a myriad of other reasons that can also bring forth this error when using the program. Check the below-given list:
- Erroneous update procedures lead to process failure.
- A faulty or damaged registry in Windows OS can also give rise to an error.
- Your Firewall is interfering with the QuickBooks processes for security reasons.
- An outdated version of the QuickBooks application needs to be updated.
- A damaged Search Index file can also bring forth this error in QuickBooks.
Also Read – QuickBooks Subscription Has Lapsed Issue
How To Fix QuickBooks Desktop Search Not Working Issue?
If the search function is not working in QuickBooks, it may ruin your experience of using the program. Therefore, you need to implement suitable solutions in order to get rid of this problem:
Solution > 1: Check If Renaming QuickBooks Search Index File Resolves The Problem
If the search option is not working in QuickBooks Enterprise, damage in the search index file can be one of the apparent reasons. In such a scenario, you need to follow the below-given steps:
- Close QuickBooks before anything and then click the Windows Start button.
- Next, you need to type *.SearchIndex in the search area and hit Enter button.
- You will now be redirected to the folder containing the QuickBooks company file.
- Here, you need to locate qbw.SearchIndex Folder.
- Right-click on the folder and select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Using the rename option, add .OLD at the end of the folder name.
- Once the changes are saved, launch QuickBooks again.
- Now click the search icon tab from the top-left corner.
- Thereafter, click the Update Search Information option.
- Once done, hit the OK button and wait until you see the “an update in progress” text.
This step can help in error resolution. However, if it fails, try the next troubleshooting procedure.
Solution > 2: Reinstall QuickBooks Using QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
QuickBooks Clean Install Tool is one of the finest tools devised by Intuit, which repairs the damaged installation of the QuickBooks software. When the damaged installation of the program becomes an obstruction in using the program, you can run this tool to run the program efficiently. Before running this tool, you need to consider the below-given points:
- Create a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
- Keep your product and license number handy with you before getting started.
Now that you have ensured the prerequisites, perform these steps;
- Uninstall your QuickBooks Software in the first place.
- Thereafter, use QuickBooks Clean Install Tool for Windows.
- Now reinstall a fresh copy of QuickBooks on your system to finish this task.
After reinstalling the program, check if the search feature is working or not. If the error continues, jump to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution > 3: Prevent QuickBooks Processes From Firewall Obstruction
Your Windows or third-party Firewall application can sometimes interfere with the ongoing QuickBooks processes. To run QuickBooks without any obstructions, you need to disable the Firewall security application. To do so:
- In the first place, select Start and then open Settings.
- Now go to the Windows Security option located underneath Privacy & security.
- Moving ahead, select Firewall & network protection.
- Here, you have to open your Windows Security settings.
- Select a Network profile from the given options.
- To disable the Firewall, switch the given settings to Off.
Once the error is resolved, you can enable the Firewall application to ensure the safety of the program. In case you are still facing this issue within QuickBooks, then check if the next solution can bring luck to the error resolution.
Solution > 4: Repair Damaged Windows Registry To Wipe Out
Error in the Windows registry is also a possible factor that can give rise to the error in the Registry Entry. In such a case, you need to repair it by following the below-explained steps:
- To start this procedure, you have to open the window start menu.
- Now type in Run in the specified search area, and it will open the Run command on your screen.
- Next, enter the folder location and click Enter key to move ahead.
- Now, find EntitlementDataStore.
- Once done, launch QuickBooks, and within the program, open the company file.
- Follow the guidelines explained on your screen to register for the QuickBooks application.
- In the end, click Save & Close button to save the changes and conclude this procedure.
You may now check if the QuickBooks search not working issue is eliminated or not.
Additional Methods To Eliminate The QuickBooks Desktop Search Option Not Working Problem
If none of the above-described solutions can bring luck to the error resolution, then you may also try some additional solutions to eliminate the persisting problem:
1: Access QuickBooks In Incognito Window
Run QuickBooks in the private window or use another browser to run the program. Choose the short-cuts based on your Internet browser:
- Safari users need to press – Command + Shift +N
- If you are using Mozilla Firefox– Ctrl+Shift+P
- Your short-cut keys for Google Chrome– Ctrl+Shift+N
- Open private window in Internet Explorer– Ctrl+Shift+P
2: Clear Your System’s Internet Browser Cache
At last, you can try to clear the cache of your computer’s Internet browser before checking on the error resolution. The cache memory piled up in your browser can sometimes hamper the performance of certain web-based features. The steps can vary from one browser to another. Check below:
- Google Chrome: Delete Browser Cache.
- Mozilla Firefox: Clear Browser Cache.
These alternative solutions can also ease the problem when followed carefully.
The solutions discussed in this post can give you a sign of relief when you are struggling with the QuickBooks search not working issue. However, if you want to save your time and peace of mind, just get in touch with our QuickBooks Live Chat Person and get help in the error resolution.