QuickBooks is a sophisticated accounting application that is packed with extraordinary tools and features. Small and medium-sized business owners use the application to streamline their financial work. The vast platform stores your company’s financial data in the company files. Over a certain time period, the company files start growing in size as your data expands. Regardless of the reason, you need to migrate your company data. QuickBooks data migration is a complex process and involves potential disturbances. To ease the process, you can make use of the QuickBooks Migration tool. Though, using the tool is not an easy process, and most users get confused.
Are you unable to use the QuickBooks Migrator tool? Do not worry. Just Speak to Our nerds @ +1855-603-0490 and know the most suitable process in easy language.
If you, too, are in the same situation, then do not panic. This blog explains the purpose of the tool and the process of transferring the data via the migrator tool. So, read the complete blog carefully.
Table of Contents
What is the QuickBooks migration tool?
Developed by Intuit, the QuickBooks migration tool is software designed to help users transfer their financial data from QuickBooks from one version to another or from one device to another device. The handy tool allows businesses to transfer company files, customer and vendor information, inventory data, payment information, invoices, and much more. It eases out the QuickBooks data migration process and saves plenty of time. There are two versions of tools available – one for US users and the other for non-US users. Also, the US migration tool is available in two versions. The first version is designed for the QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and MAC users; while the other is designed for the QuickBooks enterprise versions.
Requirements for QuickBooks migrator tool
You can use the tool to transfer data from one device to another device without the fear of loss of data. However, in order to utilize the tool, you need to fulfill the basic requirements of the QB migrator tool.
The requirements to be considered are:
- Stable Internet connection: You must have a stable and high-speed Internet connection.
- External Storage Device: You must have sufficient storage capacity to store the data.
- Admin Access: You must have the proper admin credentials so that you can access the QB application.
- Another Device: Where you want to transfer your data.
How To Download QuickBooks desktop migration tool?
To download the tool, make sure you are using Internet Explorer 11 for QB Desktop 2023. In order to download the tool, you need to log into your QuickBooks by using your admin credentials. The below-mentioned steps will help you download the QB migrator tool.
- Open the https://app.qbo.intuit.com/app/exportqbodatatoqbdt link on your web browser.
- An export overview window pops up on your screen. Here, press the Get Started button.
- Find out the QuickBooks desktop migration tool and tap on the download tool button.
- The tool will automatically save on your system. Once the downloading process gets over, open the folder and find the executable file.
- To install the file, double-click on it.
- Click on the Next button and agree with the terms and conditions to finish the installation process.
- It will install the tool on your system.
How to Set Up the QuickBooks migration tool?
You have installed the tool on your system. But, in order to choose the tool, you need to set up the tool.
The process to be followed on Old Computer
If you are not sure about the QuickBooks migration tool setup process, then take help from the below-cited steps.
- Open the QuickBooks and log into it using your credentials.
- After that, tap on the file menu option and then select the utilities.
- Moving forward, tap on the Move QuickBooks to another computer option.
- When you are ready for the migration, tap on the I am Ready option.
- Follow the online instructions and choose the USB flash drive.
- Wait till the files are copied.
In order to use the tool, you need a one-time password. You can transfer a maximum of 3 files at one time.
The process to be followed on the New System
Once all the files are copied from the old system, do follow the below-mentioned steps on your new system (where files need to be copied).
- The foremost step is to insert the USB flash drive into the new system.
- Open the USB folder in the new system.
- After that, locate the Move_QuickBooks.bat file and run it.
- Enter the password that you have created while configuring the tool in your old system.
- Tap on the finish button once the transfer data process gets over.
Additional Task To be Performed During The Setup
Perform the below listed additional steps in order to copy your data files, as all data files can not be migrated with the help of the tool.
- Sign in to the payments and payroll services.
- Next, you need to Log into Intuit Data Protect and configure your backup.
- Make sure all your additional files get transferred.
- Create a backup of your company’s files to avoid data loss.
What if the QuickBooks.Bat file does not work?
If the QuickBooks.Bat file is not working, then you need to manually copy the files from the backup files. Take help from the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the backup file folder in the new system.
- Now, locate the Restored-companyName_File folder and locate the file that you want to restore.
- Copy the file, then paste it where you want.
Ultimate process of QuickBooks online to the desktop migration tool
Whether you are using any version of the migrator tool, the steps of using the tool are very much similar. You can export the company data in QB online through QuickBooks desktop. Follow the below-mentioned steps to convert the QuickBooks online to desktop migration.
- Open the QuickBooks and tap on the Help menu option.
- After that, select the update QuickBooks to update your QuickBooks.
- It will update the QuickBooks to the latest version.
- Now, tap on the company tab and select the export company file to QuickBooks online for a system copy.
- Or, for a Mac copy, you need to select the QuickBooks online option under the Export in the File menu.
- Now, enter your QB online username and password to enter it.
- You can move to a current QB online copy or make a new one.
- The entire process will take approx. 10 minutes. You will get an email link after the process gets completed.
Alternative Method to QuickBooks Migration Tool Desktop
In case you do not rely on the QuickBooks data migrator tool, then you can migrate the data manually also. Take the help of the below-mentioned steps to transfer the QuickBooks data manually to your new system.
- Create a backup of the company files on your old system.
- After that, you need to uninstall the application from your old system.
- Now, on your new system, install the QuickBooks and restore the backup of QuickBooks.
Does QuickBooks Online migration tool Migrate All Data?
You have understood the entire process of using the QuickBooks online migration tool. In case you think all of your QuickBooks data will be migrated easily with the help of the QuickBooks data migration tool. Then, to your surprise, you can migrate only certain types of data. Below we have categorized the data into available for migration and can not be migrated.
Data That Can Be Migrated
Let us have a look at the type of data that can be migrated via the migration tool.
- Finance Statement Designer (FSD data) and (FSD clients).
- Advanced reports (QuickBooks Enterprise).
- Statement writer (QuickBooks Accountant).
- Information about QuickBooks Desktop, such as the versions.
- Printer Setting (wpr.ini), (PrintEng.ini), and (QBPrint.qbp).
- Memorized reports with local attachments and scheduled reports.
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp).
- QuickBooks letters, custom templates, and forms.
- Business Planner (.bpw).
- Spell Checker (spell.ini) and (UserDictionary.tlx).
- Loan Manager (.lmr).
- The last three company files you accessed on your previous PC (including sample documents).
Data That Can Not Be Migrated
You can not migrate the below-mentioned data via the tool.
- Payment and payroll syncing
- Configuration of Multi-user mode
- Backup files
- Intuit Data Protect (IDP)
- Older than three Company Files
Crux of the Blog
Hopefully, this blog clears all your doubts regarding the QuickBooks desktop migration tool. We hope that with the above-cited method, you can easily transfer QuickBooks data to another device. However, if you are stuck somewhere, then do not hesitate to call our experts. They will surely help you at the best possible price. You can connect with us through email, live chat, or helpline number. Pick the best suitable connecting method and connect with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 – What is the easiest way to migrate data to QuickBooks online?
A – The first thing is to choose a QuickBooks online plan as per your business. Buy the plan and upload the data. After that, submit your data backup. Migrate the data and review it.
2 – What is the QuickBooks Migration utility?
A – It is also known as the QuickBooks online to desktop migration tool and is used to transfer data from QuickBooks from one version to another.
3-Can I get the support service for the QuickBooks data migration tool?
A – Yes, our experts will assist you in understanding the tool. They will help you implement the tool so that you can migrate the data easily.