QuickBooks error 6000 is one of the most common QuickBooks issues when you may not be able to open or access your data file. In QuickBooks, you can store your financial data in a company file. You can identify this file with the. QBW extension. The issues that come under the error code series 6000 are related to the error when opening the company file.
The error code 6000 can be triggered due to multiple reasons. This friendly post discusses this error in detail along with their possible reasons and troubleshooting methods. Let’s explore.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6000?
QuickBooks company file access error 6000 has caused trouble to many QuickBooks users worldwide. The multitudinous factors involved with the error code makes it more perplexing for the users. Digging out the possible reasons behind the error can help you in the error resolution. On the arrival of the error, you will see a message on the screen, which says:
“An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file. Please try again.”
When the company file is hosted in the multi-user environment, improper hosting of the file can also evoke the error. Now let’s discuss the apparent reasons behind the QuickBooks error 6000.
Why Am I Getting QuickBooks Error Message 6000?
Intuit suggests various possible reasons behind the occurrence of the QuickBooks error code 6000. Below are some of the most common reasons that can bring forth the error when opening the QuickBooks company file:
- QuickBooks is blocked due to the erroneous settings of the Windows Firewall.
- A malicious attack from malware is causing QuickBooks to throw the error.
- An outdated version of the program makes it prone to various issues.
- Insufficient access permission to the user when working in the multi-user mode.
- Missing or damaged files that are crucial for working in a multi-user environment.
What Are Different Indications of QuickBooks Error 6000?
Below is the list of the indication that QuickBooks shows on the arrival of the error code 6000. These indications mean that the error has occurred and you may not be able to access your company data without resolving the problem. Check the main indications:
- If your system is crashing repeatedly, you are prone to QuickBooks Desktop error 6000.
- An alert box includes the error message with a code 6000.
- When your system starts freezing, you can expect the company file error.
- If your system is not responding normally, act sluggishly when provided with the mouse or keyboard inputs.
Best Solutions to Resolve Error 6000 in QuickBooks
It is infuriating to be unable to access your company’s financial data. However, the solutions described below can help you in the error resolution when performed properly.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks To the Latest Release
If you are using an outdated version of the QuickBooks program, you are susceptible to various errors. Contrarily, various known issues are fixed in an updated version of the program. To ensure that you are using the version, which is least prone to errors, update QuickBooks:
- Leave QuickBooks and the company file before updating the program.
- Next, open the Windows Start menu and search for QuickBooks.
- Now right-click on the program icon and select Run as administrator.
- Open the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks Desktop and make sure that the No Company Open window is opened.
- Go to the Options button and choose Save.
- Click on Mark All and then hit on the Update Now option.
- Checkmark the box against Reset Update.
- Moving further, select the Get Updates button.
- Wait until the update process completes and restart QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click Yes to complete the installation procedure and restart the system once it is done.
Solution 2: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
You may not be able to open your company data when the file is corrupt or damaged. Running QuickBooks File Doctor resolves common issues related to the company file and network. To run it, you need to download QuickBooks Tool Hub:
- From Intuit’s official site, download QuickBooks Tool Hub and save the downloaded file to your Desktop.
- Next, go to the download location and double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to install it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and finish the installation process by agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Now open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select Company File Issues.
- Next, select QuickBooks File Doctor to repair the damaged company file.
- Wait until the QBFD tool diagnoses the file and fix the damage. The time varies based on the size of the company file.
After finishing the procedure, check if you are able to open the erroneous company file.
Solution 3: Rename .ND & .TLG Files
Network Data (.ND) and Transaction Log (.TLG) files are the crucial files located in the folder that contains the QuickBooks Company file. To rename these files, follow the below-given steps:
- Navigate to the folder where the company file is stored and open it.
- Now try to locate the files with your company file name having .ND and .TLG extensions.
- Moving ahead, right-click on .ND file and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name.
- After renaming the .ND file, perform the same procedure for .TLG file.
Once the renaming is done, try to access the company file and check if the Error code 6000 in Quickbooks is fixed or not.
Solution 4: Try to Open A Sample Company File
Opening a sample file lets you know if the location of the company file is damaged. If you are able to open the sample company file, it means that either the company file is damaged or the location is facing restrictions with the system path. To do so:
- Go to the folder containing the QuickBooks company file.
- Find the file having .QBW extension and copy it using CTRL+C.
- Now paste the copied file on your Desktop.
- Next, open QuickBooks while holding the CTRL-key.
- When on No Company Open Window, select Open or restore an existing file.
- Locate the file copied on the Desktop and try to open it.
Solution 5. Close All The Pending QuickBooks Processes
Closing all the QuickBooks pending processes can also be a solution for getting the error resolved. Below are the steps you can follow to delete the QuickBooks pending processes.
- Firstly, log in to your computer in the administrative mode.
- Now, do a right-click on the taskbar.
- Then a new list of options will open on your screen.
- There, perform a click on the “Task Manager” option.
- Click on the “Users” tab option and search for the QuickBooks processes.
- After that, right-click on the QuickBooks process and click on the “End Task” option.
- If you find multiple pending processes, then perform the same steps again for all the processes.
- At last, open the QuickBooks company’s file in multi-user mode.
The steps discussed in this post can help you in resolving QuickBooks error 6000. In case you still need any help with the QuickBooks error code 6000, then you can get in touch with our experts via chat box or mail at email@example.com. Our QuickBooks experts are available 24*7 at the help desk to provide the best feasible solution that can help you to get rid of your query.
Frequently Asked Question
Ques 1. How can I perform a clean installation of the QuickBooks desktop application?
Ans: Firstly, run the QuickBooks tool hub on your PC and click on the “Installation Issues” option available on the left side of the screen. Then click on the “Clean Install Tool” option. Now, select the version of QuickBooks which you are using and then click on the “Continue” option. At last, give your confirmation by clicking on the “OK” option.
Ques 2. How can I delete a company in the QuickBooks desktop application?
Ans: Go to the QuickBooks file menu, and under the list, click on the “Close company” option. Thereon, click on the “Edit” option and check mark the company’s file you want to delete. At last, click on the “OK” option.
Ques 3. Why does the QuickBooks data file gets damaged or corrupted?
Ans: Some of the common reasons why the QuickBooks data file gets damaged or corrupted are as follows: issues related to hardware, insufficient storage, excessive overload, etc.
Ques 4. How can I restore a backup file in QuickBooks to resolve error code 6000?
Ans: Here are the steps that you can execute to restore a backup file in the QuickBooks desktop application;
- First of all, launch the QuickBooks desktop application, and click on the “File” > “Utilities” > “Stop Hosting Multi-User” option.
- Thereon, keep following the on-screen instructions and then provide a new name to the file.
- Make sure to keep the name length less than 210 characters.
Ques 5. How can I manually move the QuickBooks file to the desktop?
Ans: Let’s take a look at the steps that you can follow to move QuickBooks file to the desktop;
- Navigate to the file explorer on your device, type “.qbw” in the search field, and then hit the enter button.
- Now, do a right click on the QuickBooks file, and then select the “Copy” option.
- After that, move to the desktop screen, and press the “Ctrl + V” keys together to paste the file.
- Then press the “Ctrl” key and click on the file icon to open “No Company Open Window.”
- At last, click on “Open or Restore Existing Company” > “Next” > “Open.”