QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a very important utility in QuickBooks software. If you want to share your company file with other computers in a network, you need to ensure that this service is enabled. When setting up a network for multi-user access to the QuickBooks company file, QuickBooks Database Server Manager plays an important role.
It allows users to enable multi-user setup. Contrarily, if this service is not enabled, you won’t be able to share your company file over the network. In this post, we will learn more about this amazing utility of Intuit and also discuss the steps to download and install this tool. Let’s start!
Table of Contents
A Brief Description Of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager, abbreviated as QBDBMS, is devised by Intuit to host QuickBooks company files over a network. Business owners who need to share their data files in a multi-user environment highly admire this utility. When this tool is not active, it affects various tasks and performance of the application. However, if you don’t need to work in multi-user mode, this tool is of no use.
How Does Intuit Database Server Manager Work?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager creates a network data file (which can be recognized with .ND extension) on the host system to make the file accessible to all the workstations. Besides, this tool is also helpful when you are running multiple versions of the QuickBooks application. It can provide multiple versions of the processes but not multiple versions of the program.
When you install QuickBooks Database Server Manager for different versions of QuickBooks, it adds a corresponding user for each version. For instance, [QuickBooks Desktop 2108 –QBDataServiceUser28] and [QuickBooks Desktop 2107- QBDataServiceUser27].
Installing the QBDBMS on your system is crucial for ensuring the optimal performance of the company file over the network. It mainly performs the following activities:
- Scans the QuickBooks company file for multi-user access.
- Check the local folders to detect the company file automatically.
How Can I Download QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
To bring this tool to use, you need to perform the QuickBooks Database Server Manager download procedure in the first place. You can download the tool by implementing a few simple steps. This is an integral part of the QuickBooks application.
However, if you are not acquiring it directly, you can download it by paying a visit to Intuit’s official website. Download this utility only if you want to run QuickBooks company files in a multi-user environment.
Download the QuickBooks application and also install the latest updates for it. It will update the QuickBooks DBMS automatically.
How Do I Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
- Go to the folder where you have saved the QuickBooks install file (Setup_QuickBooks.exe) and open it.
- Next, you need to click the Start tab in the installation window.
- Perform the prompts given on your screen to install QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Here, you can download the updates for QuickBooks and move ahead by clicking on the Next button.
- Now, close all the applications and click the Next button.
- Read the Terms of the software license agreement to make sure that there is nothing that concerns you in the terms.
- Thereafter, choose I accept the terms and license agreement to agree to these terms.
- Make your installation choice among the Custom or Network options to move ahead.
- Click the Next button and avoid choosing the Express option.
- Choose a suitable option for the Network setup and hit the Next button.
- Whichever option you will choose, both will install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager tool.
- To run the application and the server manager both on the server computer – I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click Install once you are all set for it.
QuickBooks will now create a new Windows user for the installed version of the QuickBooks application. For instance, the 2023 version of the QuickBooks application will create QBDataServiceUser33. Enable this user to access the folders containing the QuickBooks company file.
What Is The Procedure To Configure the QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
If you don’t want to run the tool with the default settings, you can configure it using the below-given steps:
- First of all, open the Windows Start menu, and the process is initiated.
- When in the search area, type Services and then click Open Services.
- Thereafter, you need to choose to open the database server manager given as QuickBooksDBXX.
- Moving ahead, go to the General tab and check the service status section.
- If it shows started or running, click the Stop button.
- Using the startup type drop-down, select the Automatic option.
- Now, on the Logon tab, choose the Local System Account option.
- Thereafter, advance to the Recovery tab and restart the service from each of these drop-down lists, namely – First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failure.
- In the end, choose the General tab and hit the Start tab, and it will initiate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Setup The Tool To Run On The Server Computer
Once you have the QuickBooks utility installed on your computer, you need to set up the permissions to allow it to run on the server computer. To allow the tool:
- First of all, you need to configure the Firewall manually for the QBDBMS so that it doesn’t block the utility from running on the server computer.
- Open the Intuit Database Server Manager and then click the Port Monitor tab.
- Thereafter, click on the Start menu and locate Windows Firewall to open it.
- Now, from within the Advanced settings, right-click Inbound Rules >> Rule.
- Next, you need to choose the Port option, hit the Next button, and select TCP.
- When in the Specific local ports area, type the specific ports for a specific version of the QuickBooks application as given below:
- QB Desktop 2019 and 2020: 8019, XXXXX
- For QuickBooks 2018 version: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks 2017 Users: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- After selecting the port for your QuickBooks version, click Next and then Allow the connection.
- Again, click Next and Mark all the profiles when you are prompted to do so.
- Moving ahead, click the Next button.
- You can now create a Rule and give it a suitable name.
- At the end of the procedure, click Finish.
Following the same set of steps, you also need to create the outbound rules. Once the rules are defined, you can run QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server computer without getting any errors.
How Can I Update Intuit Database Server Manager?
QuickBooks Database Manager gets updated along with the QuickBooks Desktop application automatically. You can also download the updates manually from Intuit’s official website. Once the updates are installed, reboot your server computer, and it will suggest that the company file also needs to get updated to avoid compatibility issues.
After reading this full post, you might have gained some useful insights into the QuickBooks Database Manager tool. Now that you are familiar with different procedures related to the tool, such as download, install, setup, and update, you can perform them on your own. In case you need help with these methods, contact an expert and get an immediate response.
Frequently Asked Questions:-
What is the multi-user mode in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks multi-user mode allows business owners to share the file storing their financial data with the other users. The file is hosted on a server computer. Several other computers are connected to the server computer that hosts the company file. Thus, multiple users can work on the same data file to enhance productivity.
How does QBDBMS run the multi-user mode?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager creates a network data file with a .ND extension on the server computer. This network data file is a different version of the same company file with the same name (as a company file). Besides it also scans the data file to confirm that it is ready for multi-user access.
Is there any alternative way to access the service?
What is “The QuickBooksDBXX service on Local Computer started and then stopped” issue?
This is a common error related to the tool, which shows that QuickBooks Database Server Manager is damaged. You won’t be able to host the file when this error message crops up. You can resolve it by applying a few simple steps.
How do I acquire help for the issues related to the important QuickBooks services?
There are some crucial services, such as QuickBooks Database Server Manager, that needs to be running in order to host company file on a network. However, when these services don’t work, you can connect with a trained technician and ask for help. Explain your issue and get assured troubleshooting from the experts.