QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an important utility in the program that enables users to share data files with another computer over your network. Besides, it also plays a vital role in setting-up multi-user mode. When working in a multi-user environment, you can access QuickBooks company files hosted over a network.
You need to make sure that the tool is installed on each computer. If you are not sure how to download, install, or set up QuickBooks Database Server Manager, reading this post until the end will definitely help. Let’s start!
A Brief on QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Before we proceed any further, let’s develop an understanding of QBDB Server Manager. It helps users configure the QuickBooks server to enable multi-user access to the company file. Besides, it also develops network data (.ND) files for the company file on the host PC.
You need QuickBooks Database Server Manager only if you need to run multi-user mode in the QuickBooks application. Without installing this incredible tool, you may not be able to work seamlessly in a multi-user environment.
What Does It Do? Activities The Tool Performs
- The tool scans the company file to make the multi-user access smooth for the users.
- Also, it checks the storage device for the company file to detect it automatically.
- It automatically creates .ND file on the host server to enable access to the file.
- Moreover, it helps you in finding the local hard drive of your company.
Important Points You Need To Consider Before Getting Started
- QBDBSM creates .ND file for all the company files that are stored in the host computer.
- With this tool, you may use multiple variations of the process; however, it does not provide multiple versions of the QuickBooks software.
- Install the latest version of the tool to make the most out of it.
- If you want to use multiple versions of the QuickBooks application, you need to install the multiple versions of this tool as well, synchronized in the order from older to the newest.
- To get the best performance, install QuickBooks Database Server Manager in the folder containing the QuickBooks company file.
Also, you can read – Why QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped Working?
Steps To Download, Install, and Setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Now that much has been discussed about this important tool of the QuickBooks Desktop application, let’s proceed further and check out the steps to install and set up the tool.
1: Download QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To download QBDBSM, you don’t need to perform special procedures. It comes with the QuickBooks Desktop application itself. Hence, downloading QuickBooks will get the job done. Below are the steps:
- In the first place, you need to go to the QuickBooks Product Download Page to download the program.
- Once downloaded, save the file to a location that offers easy access to it.
- Now open the executable QuickBooks.exe file and agree to the software License Agreement.
- Thereafter, hit Next and provide the Product and License Number in the specified boxes.
- Choose your preferred Install type from the options – Express, Custom, and Network.
- In the end, Activate and Update QuickBooks Desktop.
2: Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Now that QuickBooks is installed on your system, you can install it by following a few simple steps. The steps will be employed on the server computer that hosts the company file. Follow the below-listed steps:
- First things first, close all the running programs, including QuickBooks, on the server computer.
- Next, locate QuickBooks.exe and follow the on-screen installation instructions.
- Choose the install type as Custom or Network Options. Avoid selecting Express.
- Thereafter, choose the best suitable option for network setup and then click Next.
- If you want to use QBDBSM and QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer, choose – I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing…
- Contrarily, if you want to use only the Database Server Manager on the server computer, choose: I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop…
- Once done with the instructions, click Install.
QuickBooks Desktop application creates a new window user for each version of the QBDBSM tool. For instance, if you are using the 2019 version of the database server manager, the user for this will be QBDataServiceUser29. You will notice these users when enabling permissions to access the company file folders.
Also Read – Easy Steps to Recover QuickBooks Admin Password
3: Setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Now that the QBDBSM is installed on your device, we will now see the procedure to set up the tool to reap its benefits. Check the below-given steps:
- First of all, open the Windows Start menu.
- When the search box opens, type Services to open it.
- When the list opens, you need to select and open QuickBooksDBXX, where XX depicts your QuickBooks version.
- Next, go to the General tab and locate the Service status section. If the status is Started or Running, you need to select Stop.
- Thereafter, you need to select Automatic using the Startup dropdown list.
- Moving ahead, go to the Logon tab and select the Local System account option.
- Now from within the Recovery tab, select Restart the Service using the following drop-down menus – First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.
- Again, move back to the General tab, and select Start. It will restart the Database Server Manager tool.
4: Set Firewall Permissions For QuickBooks DBMS
You need to configure your Windows Firewall in order to run the tool smoothly. If not, it will block Internet access for QuickBooks-related programs or services. In such a case, you need to configure a Firewall to prevent it from blocking QuickBooks. You can add Firewall port exception for QuickBooks so that it doesn’t block the QuickBooks services.
5: Update Server Manager Service
Once the Firewall permission is configured for the tool, you need to update it to the latest version. An outdated QBDBSM service may not work efficiently to access company files in multi-user mode. There is no dedicated procedure to update the tool. You simply need to update your QuickBooks Desktop application, and the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will be updated automatically.
- Close your QuickBooks company file, including the program itself, to start.
- Next, open the Windows Start menu and search for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Once found, right-click on the QuickBooks icon and select Run as administrator.
- Now from within the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Moving ahead, go to the Options tab and select Mark All option and Save it.
- After that, go to the Update Now tab and mark the check for Reset Update.
- In the end, select the Get Updates option to finish the task.
How To Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Now that the Database Server Manager is installed and you have configured the required settings, you can use it to run multi-user mode. Below’s how:
Step 1: Use It For Folder Scanning
You may use this service before sharing your company file by following the below-given steps:
- While on the server computer, you need to open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Next, go to the Scan Folders tab and hit Browse. QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Thereafter, choose the folders that contain the primary company file (QBW).
- Hit the OK button once the folder is selected, and select the Start Scan option.
Wait for the tool to scan your file and when you see “QuickBooks company files found,” it means the files are now accessible from other computers on the network.
Step 2: Monitor Your Drives
The scanned folders are in drives that appear under the Monitored Drives tab. Monitoring drive ensures that re-scan is not required on moving or changing your company files in them. Check below:
- Choose the Monitored Drives and mark the checkboxes next to Hard Drive that contains your company files.
- In the end, chose it and when you change or move your company file on these drives, you don’t need to re-scan them.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an efficient tool that enables users to work in multi-user mode so that they can work on the same company file simultaneously and manage their financial data efficiently. You need to download, install and configure the tool to harvest it to its maximum potential.
This article elaborates on the steps that can help you get all these tasks accomplished. In case you are getting any difficulty in performing the steps, get in touch with QuickBooks expert professionals to get relevant help with the process using our chat or email channels.