QuickBooks is probably one of the most effective accounting software, trusted by millions of businesses of small as well as mid sizes. It is one software that very well does multi-tasking and helps people related to the business to generate various invoices, track inventories, etc.
Although it is one awesome piece of software, it still throws certain errors and issues while using the QuickBooks software. Errors may creep in, while installing or running QuickBooks on your system. There are some errors that can arise while updating and upgrading the QuickBooks software. QuickBooks Error 15101 is one such error. In this blog post, we discuss all about this error, how it is caused, and finally, how it can be fixed.
Why do we encounter QuickBooks Error 15101?
There could be multiple reasons responsible for triggering error 15101 in QuickBooks. Below we have mentioned some of these reasons:
- You might not have started all of the QuickBooks services on Windows
- Internet Explorer is not your default browser which is compatible with QuickBooks
- Windows Firewall is causing problems in QuickBooks connecting to the internet
- Other third-party application is interrupting the QuickBooks internal processes
Fixing QuickBooks Error 15101
Solution 1: Using Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
Quick Fix My Program is a tool in QuickBooks that scans, detects, and resolves issues automatically & immediately. Follow these steps to know how to run the Quick Fix My Program:
- Firstly, Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the Program Problems tab. There, choose the Quick Fix My Program and let it complete the scan
- Subsequently, After it is done, you need to restart the QuickBooks Desktop and open the company file
- Thereafter, you need to click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor and follow the on-screen instructions in order to resolve the QuickBooks error 15101.
Solution 2: Installing a Digital Signature Certificate
- Firstly, You would need to download & install the latest digital signature certificate in your system.
- Thereafter, access the location C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
- After that, you need to right-click on QBW32.exe
- Next, select Properties. Reach the Digital Signature tab and ensure that Intuit is there in the signature list.
- Thereafter, choose Details
- From the Digital Signature Details window, choose the “View Certificate” option
- Consequently, Choose the Install Certificate option in the Certificate window
- Keep selecting Next until you see the Finish option. Thereafter, choose the Finish option
- Restart the system once again
- Launch QuickBooks and then download the update again
Solution 3: Running QuickBooks Reboot.bat file
- For once, quit QuickBooks Desktop and then right-click on the QuickBooks icon from the Desktop.
- Choose the properties option and then select the “Open File Location” option
- Access the Reboot file. After that, right-click on the Reboot.bat file and choose the “Run as an Administrator” option
- A command prompt window will occur with different QuickBooks files
- You should ensure that you do not exit the command prompt manually
- As the Reboot.bat file finishes repairing, the command prompt window shall close on its own
- Open QuickBooks once again and try running the payroll. If the error is still there, you should move on to the next set of troubleshooting steps
Solution 4: Fix Internet Explorer as a default Internet Browser
- First of all, Open the Internet Explorer and then access Tools.
- Choose the option that mentions Internet Options and thereafter navigate to the Programs tab
- Click on the “Make Default” button
- Consequently, hit OK to save changes
Solution 5: Reinstalling QuickBooks in Safe Mode
Many times, the third-party applications try to interfere with the downloading and installation of payroll updates. Thus, it is better to run the system in safe mode. Running the system in safe mode ensures that only the very essential programs operate in Windows while completing the download process. Follow these steps to reinstall the QuickBooks in safe mode. Before you proceed further with the troubleshooting, make sure to take a backup of your company file to ensure that you do not have any data loss. Here’s how you can do that:
- First things first, reboot the Windows and repeat pressing the F8 key multiple times
- Thereafter, Windows displays the Safe Boot options. In there, select the Safe Mode and then press the Enter key
- Furthermore, Windows will boot now in safe mode
- Further on, press the Windows+R key simultaneously to open the Run window
- Type in the command appwiz.cpl in the text space and click on the Enter key
- Double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop from a list of installed programs and follow the instructions on the screen to remove the QuickBooks from Windows completely.
- Consequently, download the QuickBooks setup file from the QuickBooks Product download page
- Now, double-click on the downloaded file and carefully follow the on-screen instructions
- Lastly, complete the product-registration process and try updating the QuickBooks payroll once again
Read more : QuickBooks not working
Solution 6: Restart the QBConnector.exe process
- The first and definitely the foremost step is opening the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys simultaneously.
- Thereafter, you need to go to the Processes tab and look for QBConnector.exe
- Furthermore, right-click on the processes and choose the End Process option
- Lastly, restart the QuickBooks application to check whether the issue has been resolved or not
We have provided an in-depth understanding of the QuickBooks Error 15101, not only listing its causes but also its solutions and fixes. Our hope is that the solutions we have provided in this blog will help you to successfully navigate the said QuickBooks Error. In such a case that you are still not able to resolve the issue and are still struggling with it, then we advise you to get professional help.
Our team of qualified professionals is adept at resolving all the issues related to QuickBooks in minutes. They can easily analyze the problem you are facing and then provide a quick fix that will resolve your issue in moments. Do contact us a mail at email@example.com. We look forward to serving you!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can Safe Mode resolve the QuickBooks Error 15101?
Ans. Yes, safe mode can resolve the QuickBooks Error 15101. Sometimes, while using the normal mode, third-party applications can interfere with the QuickBooks software. Thus, it is advisable to switch to safe mode. Doing this can take care of certain errors and issues.
Q2. Can uninstalling and then reinstalling my QuickBooks fix QuickBooks error code 15101?
Ans. Uninstalling and reinstalling the QuickBooks can sometimes successfully navigate the QuickBooks Error 15101. But, it is not a sure-shot way of troubleshooting the said QuickBooks Error. If it fixes the error, well and good; otherwise, you will have to find a way or resort to other known methods to fix this particular error.
Q3. Do I have to run a specific file to fix QuickBooks error code 15101?
Ans. Yes, you need to run a Reboot.bat file as an administrator. This particular file helps re-register the .ocx, .dll files into the Windows operating system. You will have to locate it and then run it. This will reboot the QuickBooks on your system.
Q4. How can I reset my QuickBooks update?
Ans. You need to first launch the QuickBooks update. Thereafter, go to the Help menu and then choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop. Consequently, go to the Update Now tab and then finally choose the Reset Update Checkbox.