QuickBooks error PS033 occurs when you try to download the latest payroll updates on your system. This can also take place when opening a QuickBooks company file. Updating payroll is crucial as it helps you work with the most recent tax rates and saves you from penalties. However, when updating your payroll in QuickBooks, you may encounter this error code PS033, which can be really annoying. You need to fix this error to get back to your routine business accounting processes. This post explains the possible reasons behind the error along with their relevant solutions. Let’s start!
What Is QuickBooks Error PS033 – Description
During a payroll update process or when opening a QuickBooks company file, you may encounter an error message on your screen, indicating the error as –
“QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]”
This error mainly crops up due to a damaged file in the CPS folder. This folder has important payroll files needed for payroll updates and company file access. When this folder gets corrupted, you may not be able to complete your payroll update process. The error message box has a Help button that can redirect you to the support page. However, it is not necessary that the issue will be resolved. Therefore, we have tried our best to cover all the best solutions that can eliminate QuickBooks update error PS033.
Possible Reasons Behind Payroll Update Error PS033 in QuickBooks
There is a multitude of possible reasons that can bring forth the QuickBooks error message PS033. Check the below-given list:
- An inactive QuickBooks payroll subscription is the most apparent reason behind the error.
- Damage or corruption in the QuickBooks Desktop ini file.
- Make sure that the service key is correct or be ready to face the error message.
- Damaged data in QuickBooks is also one of the possible reasons.
- Be cautious while entering the EIN number (employee identification number), or it will evoke an error.
- Incorrect company file PSID is also one among the list of the possible reasons.
- Compatibility issues between your current Windows version and QuickBooks Desktop application.
- An outdated version of the QuickBooks application.
- The CPS folder or one of its files is damaged or corrupt.
- User Account Settings are enabled.
- Programs running in the background are interfering with an ongoing payroll update process.
- Damaged or invalid payroll tax tables can also become a potential reason behind the arrival of the QuickBooks payroll update error PS033.
Indications For The QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update Error PS033
The below-listed symptoms of QuickBooks Payroll update error PS033 can help you determine that an error has occurred with the update process. Thus, you can take the required troubleshooting measures. Some of the important signs of the error are:
- “QuickBooks can’t read payroll setup files” message text will show up on your screen, which also indicates the recommended action to consider for the error resolution.
- The payroll update process gets hindered due to the error.
- Anomalous program behavior, such as freezing, lagging, and sluggish response.
- Trouble in accessing the employee’s information or running the payroll due to error code PS033 in QuickBooks.
- Windows too becomes slow and stop responding to commands promptly.
- When you notice these signs during a payroll update process, it’s time to implement the troubleshooting solutions to eliminate QuickBooks Payroll update error PS033.
Solutions To Implement For The Resolution of QuickBooks Error PS033
Now that we have discussed all the important aspects related to the error, such as causes and symptoms, it’s time to troubleshoot the error by applying some tried and tested solutions. Ready?
SOLUTION 1: Get The Latest Payroll Tax Table
If the error message is coming up when opening a company file, update your tax tables by following the below-given steps:
- Open QuickBooks and select Employees from within the program.
- Next, select the Get Payroll Updates option and click Download the entire payroll update option.
- Finally, click Update to download them.
SOLUTION 2: Rename Your CPS Folder To Fix Error Code PS033
If the error continues, you need to change the name of your CPS folder, as it lets QuickBooks create a new folder devoid of the damaged files. Below is how you to do it:
- Leave QuickBooks and navigate to the CPS folder location – C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks 20XX\ Components\ Payroll\ CPS.
- Once it appears, right-click on the folder and select Rename from the drop-down list.
- Now, remove the old name and type CPSGHJ for the new folder name and click Enter button.
- After saving the changes, open QuickBooks and check if the QuickBooks error PS033 is fixed or not.
SOLUTION 3: Disable Your UAC Settings
When you are trying to make a crucial change without the required permissions, a UAC prompt will show up on the screen, preventing you from completing the task. The same happens when you try to download an update. Therefore, you need to disable the UAC by performing the below-listed steps:
- Open the Control Panel using the Start option on your computer.
- Next, click on the User Accounts and choose it again when the next Window opens.
- Moving ahead, hit Change User Account Control Settings and choose the Continue option to move ahead.
- When you see a slider, move it down to the Never Notify option and click OK.
- Restart your system and again try to download the updates that were giving error code PS033.
SOLUTION 4: Update QuickBooks Desktop Software
An obsolete/discontinued version of the QuickBooks application can also be one of the possible reasons behind the arrival of the error. In such a case, follow the below-listed steps to update QuickBooks:
- First of all, you need to close the QuickBooks company file and program itself to start the process.
- Next, go to your Desktop and right-click on the QuickBooks program icon.
- Moving ahead, click on the Run as administrator option and then move to the Help menu.
- Here, you need to choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Thereafter, go to the Options tab and select the Mark All option, and then click the Save button to save the changes you have made.
- Once done, go to the Update Now tab and tick-mark the box against the Reset Updates option.
- Now, select Get Updates, and wait for the update to be fully downloaded.
- After that, close QuickBooks, reopen it, and select Yes in response to the installation prompt.
- Once the updates are installed, restart your system.
SOLUTION 5: Put Verify Data Utility To Use To Check Data Damage
If none of the above-explained solutions have helped in resolving the QuickBooks Payroll update error PS033, check if your data is damaged using Verify Data utility. If damage is detected, you can run the Rebuild data utility to eliminate the problem. Below is how to use Verify Data utility:
- Open the QuickBooks application, and you will locate the Utilities option under the File tab.
- In the Utilities section, you need to choose the Verify Data option.
- It will scan the file for potential damages, and the result will reflect the data damage issues on your screen.
- If the problems are detected, you may run the Rebuild Data utility to fix the issues.
- After running the Rebuild Data, run the Verify Data utility once again to check if the issue is resolved or not.
If you are still experiencing the QuickBooks Payroll update error PS033 when updating the payroll service, move to the next solution for the error fixation.
SOLUTION 6: Use Safe Mode To Download The Payroll Update
The programs running in the background, such as your Internet security application, can interfere with an ongoing update process. Downloading the updates in Safe Mode prevents these interruptions. Below is how you can do it:
- Quit the QuickBooks application and then close your system.
- Next, your computer and hold the Shift key when you press the Power button.
- Click on Restart and go to the Choose an Option screen, wherein you need to click on Troubleshoot option.
- Moving ahead, click on the Advanced option, where you need to select Startup Settings.
- Select Restart and open the computer and Safe Mode.
- Here, you can try to download the latest payroll updates.
- If it helps, restart your computer in the normal mode and download the update again.
SOLUTION 7: Utilize QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub is an incredible utility in the program that can resolve multi-faceted issues in the program, such as issues related to the company file, network, program, or installation. You can download it to fix your program by implementing the below-stated steps:
- Download the tool hub from Intuit’s official website and run the downloaded file to install it on your system.
- Next, follow the on-screen installation instructions, and once the program is installed, agree to the terms and conditions, and it is now ready to use.
- Double-click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on your Desktop to open it.
- Here, you need to select the Program Problems from the list of the given problem categories.
- After that, select Quick Fix My Program to resolve the program-related issues.
The solutions described in this post can guide you in resolving the QuickBooks Payroll Update error code PS033. Hope you have resolved the error successfully by following this port and using the latest updated payroll features on your system. On confronting the technical challenges in error resolution, you may connect with our professionals and get step-by-step help and get the latest payroll updates.