Most often, the users might experience QuickBooks Error 6000 77 while trying to launch the data file. Are you also confronting the same issue and hampering your workflow? If yes, Worry Not!! It is the most common company file error that users usually confront due to incorrect folder permissions or inappropriate firewall configuration.
However, the users can’t ignore the QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77, as it may cause a severe loss to the company data. So, hurry up and use this informative guide to resolve your issue quickly.
Are you unable to figure out QuickBooks Error 6000 777 and need an expert’s supervision? Connect with our professionals at @+1-855-603-0490 and obtain a simple resolution to your query.
Table of Contents
A Quick Glimpse on QuickBooks Error 6000 77
The users often end up with QuickBooks Error 6000 77 when they fail to open the data file when QuickBooks can’t read its file location. On the occurrence of this error, the users witnessed the following error message indicating: “We’re Sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem. Error Codes: (-6000,-77).”
The users might also encounter Error 6000 77 in QuickBooks when they don’t have enough permissions to open the data file. However, several other reasons trigger this error. We have explained all such causes in this blog, along with the symptoms and troubleshooting methods.
Why am I struggling with QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77?
Knowing the root causes of QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77 will help resolve the error efficiently. So, to get you updated regarding this issue’s possible factors, we have discussed a few of them below. Let’s begin exploring them.
- Operating the incompatible version of the QuickBooks Desktop is one reason that triggers the error.
- Sometimes, it might be evoked when trying to access the data file placed on external storage instead of storing it on the local drive.
- The users might get QuickBooks Error 6000 77 when the Windows Firewall interrupts the network connectivity with the data file.
- Another reason may be that the company file name contains more than the required characters.
- Damage or corruption in the QuickBooks data file may also be responsible.
What are the After-effects of Getting QuickBooks Desktop Error 6000 77?
Following are the outcomes that the users will notice at the arrival of QuickBooks Desktop Error 6000 77.
- You won’t be able to open the QuickBooks company file, which might affect your ongoing business data.
- In other instances, users may spot an abrupt shutdown of the Windows device.
- The sudden freezing or crashing of the QuickBooks application.
- Sometimes, you may spot that your Windows OS starts performing sluggishly.
Best Ways To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Company File Error 6000 77
To help you rectify QuickBooks Company File Error 6000 77, we have mentioned some of the tried and tested solutions below. Ensure that you follow the stepwise instructions in the same manner as outlined below.
Troubleshooting Way 1: Reconstruction of the Damaged Folder
As discussed above, the damage or corruption in the QuickBooks folder is one reason that results in QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77. So, to fix the issue, you must recreate the damaged folder using the steps below.
- Initially, construct a new folder on your local C: drive.
- After this, navigate to the folder that contains your QuickBooks data file.
- Once you get the file “.qbw,” right-click on it and choose the Copy option.
- Soon after this, launch the new folder you recently generated and Paste the file into it.
- Thereon, you must set the Windows Access Permissions to share the data files.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks Desktop and launch the file through the new location to verify whether the issue is resolved.
Troubleshooting Way 2: Utilize the UNC Path In Place of A Mapped Drive
- Begin the process by right-clicking the QuickBooks icon on your desktop.
- After this, press and hold the Ctrl key to choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Moreover, hold down the Ctrl Key until you see the No Company Open Window on the screen.
- In the next step, navigate to the File menu > Open or Restore Company > Open a Company File > Next option.
- Subsequently, pick the Network option and browse to the location of the data file.
- At last, choose the data file and hit the Open button to conclude the process.
Troubleshooting Way 3: Modify the Name of .ND and .TLG File
Sometimes, the corrupted or damaged .ND and .TLG files might generate issues while accessing the data file. Giving a new name to both these files won’t cause any loss to your data as they are automatically generated while opening the file. Perform the steps illustrated below to change the name of these configuration files.
- Primarily, access the folder that contains your data file using the following path “C: >> Users >> Public >> Public Documents >> Intuit >> QuickBooks >> Company Files.“
- After this, look for the files having the same name as your data file but having the .ND and .TLG file extensions.
- In the next step, right-click on the .ND and .TLG one by one and pick the Rename option. Then, you must mention “.OLD” at the end of the file name and hit the Enter key.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks data file and see whether the issue persists.
Troubleshooting Way 4: Delete the Unwanted Blank Spaces From File Name
If there are any extra blank spaces in the name of your QuickBooks company file, it might lead to Error 6000 77 in QuickBooks. Thus, to resolve the issue, you must remove the blank spaces or extra characters from the file name using the steps below.
- Initially, users must sign out from the QuickBooks Desktop application if it’s already open on their device.
- Afterwards, you must navigate to the QuickBooks data file and launch it on your desktop.
- Thereon, right-click on the data file and pick the Rename option.
- You are supposed to pick the company file name and then edit it. Ensure that there is no extra space. However, if you spot that there is any extra space, remove it between the file extensions.
- Lastly, launch the QuickBooks data file and verify it is opening properly.
Troubleshooting Way 5: Take Help of the QuickBooks File Doctor
- To fix the damage in the QuickBooks company file, you must use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. You need to get the newly launched version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once you have downloaded the QuickBooks Tool Hub, double-tap on the file to open it.
- Now, navigate to the Company File Issues tab > Run QuickBooks File Doctor menu.
- You are supposed to launch your data file by clicking the drop-down menu. If you fail to find your file, pick the Browse and Search to locate the file option.
- Moving further, browse to the Check Your File option > Continue.
- Add your QuickBooks admin password accurately and hit the Next option.
- Wait until the File Doctor Tool scans and fixes the issue.
- At last, once the scanning is over, launch the QuickBooks and the data file on your device.
Troubleshooting Way 6: Setting up the Access Permissions of Data File Folder to Share Company
The users might often end up with QuickBooks Error 6000 77 when they don’t have enough folder permissions to share the data file with other workstations. So, giving enough permission to share the data file folder will help you fix the error. Perform the steps elaborated below to do the same.
- Shut down the QuickBooks application and open the Start menu.
- Afterwards, tap on File Explorer and access the folder that contains your data file.
- Thereon, right-click on the folder and pick the Properties option.
- In the next step, navigate to the Security tab and hit the Advanced tab.
- Subsequently, select the QBDataServiceUserXX and hover your cursor over the Edit menu.
- From the below-given settings, set the Permissions as “Allowed”.
- Write Extended Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- List Folder/ Read Data
- Create Folder/ Append Data
- Read Attributes
- Write Attributes
- Read Permissions
- Transverse Folder/ Execute File
- Create Folder / Write Data
- However, if the permissions aren’t set properly, configure it using the steps below.
- Return to the folder with your data file and pick the Properties option.
- Next, go to the Edit menu located beneath the Security tab.
- Thereon, navigate to the QBDataServiceUserXX and pick the Full Control menu.
- Now, hover your cursor over the Allow and then the Apply button.
- Finally, hit the OK button to close the window.
Taking Everything Into Account!!
We hope applying the resolution methods discussed above will help you with QuickBooks Error 6000 77. Thus, it helps you regain access to your crucial QuickBooks company file data. However, connect with our professionals directly if you get stuck while performing any of these troubleshooting methods. You can either connect via live chat or email support facility and get all your doubts clarified for hassle-free error resolution.
Commonly Asked Questions:-
Ques 1: What Should I do to prevent QuickBooks Error 6000 77 from occurring?
Ans. Yes, it is possible to avoid QuickBooks Error 6000 77 from occurring in the future using the following precautions.
- Don’t miss to take the regular backups of your QuickBooks data file.
- Remember to install the up-to-date version of the QuickBooks application.
- Ensure proper installation of the QuickBooks application.
Ques 2: How many characters must be included in the QuickBooks File name to fix QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77?
Ans. The users must ensure that the company file name doesn’t contain more than 64 characters and should have only one alphanumeric character. Also, the file name mustn’t contain any extra space or special characters.
Ques 3: Does the incorrect Firewall settings lead to QuickBooks Desktop Error 6000 77?
Ans. Yes, the users might end up with QuickBooks Desktop Error 6000 77 when the Windows Firewall blocks access to the data file. Therefore, to fix the issue, it is necessary to configure the Windows Firewall settings and get access to a data file.
Ques 4: How often must you generate the backup of your QuickBooks company data?
Ans. Creating the backup data file regularly is mandatory to avoid data loss on issues like QuickBooks Error 6000 77.
Ques 5: What would happen on the arrival of Error 6000 77 in QuickBooks?
Ans. Whenever the users end up with Error 6000 77 in QuickBooks, they will be restricted from accessing their data files. Thus, it might stop the users from resuming their ongoing work, which would cause a loss to the company.