QuickBooks error code 80070057 can take place when you try to open your company file from within the application. When the error code with the additional text (The parameter is incorrect) occurs, you need to look for its possible reasons and troubleshoot them. There can be a multitude of possible reasons that promote the error. However, the error makes the data of your company file inaccessible and hampers your workflow. Worry not! This comprehensive post on QuickBooks error 80070057 not only elaborates on the possible reasons and symptoms of the error but also explains some of the most relevant solutions to eliminate it. Let’s find out!
QuickBooks Error Code 80070057: Explanation
QuickBooks error 80070057 mainly occurs when a user tries to open the company file located on a host station or a server. Here, you can understand that the error is basically related to the multi-user mode. Improperly configured multi-user setup can be one of the main reasons behind this error. On the arrival of the error, you will see an error message that explains the problem and also suggests the relevant solution to get rid of the error. In the end, you will see:
Error Code: 80070057
Description: The parameter is incorrect.
Why Am I Seeing The Error Code 80070057 in QuickBooks?
If you are not sure why you are getting the QuickBooks error 80070057, refer to the below-listed points for the possible causes:
- When a user tries to open the file in an inappropriate manner.
- QuickBooks can’t communicate with the file located on the server computer.
- Your firewall is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the data file.
- QuickBooks company file having incorrect extension.
- Incomplete or improper installation of the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Damaged network data file, which is used by QuickBooks to access the data file over the network.
- The file you are trying to access is stored on an external storage device (UBS drive or hard drive).
- Your anti-virus application has blocked the ports required by QuickBooks to communicate with the Internet.
What Are The Symptoms Of QuickBooks Error 80070057?
When an error occurs in QuickBooks, it gives some signs and symptoms that can help in identifying the issue. Below is the list of the possible symptoms for QuickBooks error 80070057:
- An error message appears, including the code “80070057” and the text “The parameter is incorrect.”
- You may not have sufficient permissions to change or delete the company file.
- An active window collapses abruptly on the arrival of the error.
- When the system freezes every now and then, an error is suspected.
- QuickBooks repeatedly crashes on opening the same program.
- You may also experience an annoyingly sluggish PC performance.
On experiencing these symptoms of QuickBooks error 80070057, it’s high time to fix the error by implementing the best solutions.
How To Keep QuickBooks Error Message Code 80070057 At Bay?
There are multiple factors that can give rise to error 80070057 in QuickBooks; therefore, you will have to implement the possible solutions relevant to the error code. Check below:
Solution 1: Install The Latest Maintenance Release For QuickBooks
Updates in QuickBooks are meant to resolve the existing errors in the program’s codebase and improve the features of the programs. Therefore, using the latest updated version of QuickBooks implies that it is least susceptible to errors. Besides, you can harvest the improved features of the program.
- In the first step, you need to move to the Help menu.
- Next, go to the update QuickBooks tab and hit it.
- Thereafter, select the Update Now tab and jump to the next step.
- Here, you need to hit the Reset Update option.
- Moving ahead, clear all the last updates to get the new ones.
- Now, move your cursor to Get Updates and click on it.
- After that, click on Start QuickBooks and check if the error is resolved or not.
Updating QuickBooks can help you in the error resolution. If not, perform the steps listed within the next solution.
Solution 2: Run QuickBooks Desktop Software With Admin Credentials
Insufficient permissions to access the QuickBooks company file can also promote the QuickBooks error 80070057. In such a case, you need to run QuickBooks as an administrator. Follow the below-listed steps:
- In the first step, you need to close the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Now locate and right-click on the QuickBooks icon, and it will open a drop-down list.
- From the drop-down menu you see on your screen, click on Run as administrator.
- Now, try to access the company file after logging into the administrator account.
- If not, select the Open option from the company file.
Solution 3: Rename .ND File By Adding .OLD At The End Of The File Name
Network Data (.ND) file is located in the same folder that stores the main data file. However, when a network data file gets damaged or corrupt, you may not be able to access a company file located on the network. To fix it, you need to rename your .ND file. Check the steps:
- First things first, move to the location of the folder which contains your company file.
- Open the folder and then locate the .ND file.
- Once found, you need to right-click on it and select Rename.
- Thereafter, add .OLD at the end of the file name.
After renaming the network data file, check the status of QuickBooks error 80070057. If it is still occurring, move to the next solution.
Solution 4: Fix Error 80070057 By Using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is an important utility devised by Intuit, which is used for repairing common issues related to the company file. You may access this tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub. Below are your steps:
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub and save it to your Desktop.
- Next, install it by following the listed instructions and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Once installed, open it for the error resolution.
- From within the Tool Hub, you need to select Company File Issues.
- Next, run QuickBooks Tool Hub and let it scan your file for possible issues.
- The time taken may vary based on your company file size.
- Once done, the tool will resolve the common issues in the company file that can possibly promote QuickBooks error 80070057.
Once done, you need to check if the error is resolved or not.
The solutions described in this post can help users struggling with QuickBooks error 80070057. However, if the error still continues even after the accurate execution of the steps, you may need to contact QuickBooks experts for the error resolution. Their step-by-step assistance can make the troubleshooting of QuickBooks error code 80070057 easy for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1. What are the reasons why the QuickBooks company’s file gets damaged or corrupted?
Answer: A QuickBooks company file can get damaged or corrupted at any time, and this problem can be occurred due to many problems and reasons related to the hardware, network issues, QuickBooks installation issues, and many others. Users will only be able to identify the damaged company file, only after the file completely gets damaged or corrupted.
Question 2. Can I use the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool to resolve the error?
Answer: Yes, you can use the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool to solve the QuickBooks error 80070057.
- For using it, below are the steps you can follow to complete the process.
- First, launch the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- Then from the left side of the screen, click on the “Installation Issues” option.
- Thereon, click on the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool” option.
- Now, the tool will start scanning the file and will repair all the related issues.
Question 3. How can I use the Bitdefender to fix the QuickBooks error 80070057?
Answer: For using the Bitdefender for fixing the error code 80070057 are as follows.
- Open the Bitdefender and then click on the “Antivirus” option in the menu.
- Moving ahead, click on the “Custom Level” option and select the “Exclude the path” option.
- Thereon, select the new item and choose the mapped drive or UNC path to select the company’s file.
Question 4. Why should you check the extension of the company file?
Answer: The folder containing the company file in the program has several other files having the same name as the main data file. However, you can differentiate these files with their extensions. Some of the main extensions of these files are .ND, .TLG, .QBB, .QBW etc. The main company file can be identified with its extension .QBW. Hence, you need to make sure that you are opening your QuickBooks company file with the correct extension (.QBW). If not right, you may face QuickBooks error 80070057.
Question 5. How to fix the error 80070057 caused due to improper installation of QuickBooks?
Answer: A partial or damaged installation of the QuickBooks software can be a reason behind the multi-faceted issues, such as error code 80070057. In such a case, you need to perform the clean installation of QuickBooks. The QuickBooks Clean Install Utility can help you in getting the task accomplished. From within this utility, select your QuickBooks version and then your Product version. After that, click Continue to finish.