Most often, the users might confront QuickBooks Error H202 while trying to access the company file in multi-user mode. In other instances, it might evoke when the users fail to access the data file placed on another computer. Whenever the error pops up, it throws the following error message on the screen stating:
On the occurrence of this error, the users won’t be able to work in the multi-user environment. Therefore, it is essential to resolve this issue using the corrective measures explained in this blog.
“Avail immediate help in eliminating QuickBooks error H202 by speaking live with our QuickBooks experts via call at +1-855-603-0490.”
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
In multi-user mode, the QuickBooks company file is stored on a server computer. The other user’s computers (known as workstations) are connected to the server. Workstations do not host the QuickBooks company file. If you are unable to open a company file from another computer, QuickBooks error H202 can take place. When opening a QuickBooks company file, you may see an error message on your screen that states:
In addition to the error message, the pop-up box also explains the troubleshooting solutions to resolve the error.
What Gives Rise to QuickBooks Error Code H202?
Error code H202 in QuickBooks occurs when the program tries to establish a connection with the company file. Some of the main reasons behind the error are stated in the below-given list:
- Improper hosting configuration settings for the data file.
- When the incoming and outgoing communication is blocked by your system’s Firewall settings.
- QuickBooks is not able to get the IP address of the server hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- QuickBooks services, such as QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor are crucial for hosting the company file; however, can give an error when not running on your computer.
- Damaged Network Data (.ND) file in QuickBooks.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Message H202?
Below are some effective solutions that can help you in resolving QuickBooks multi-user mode error H202:
Solution 1: Utilize QuickBooks File Doctor for The Error Resolution
QuickBooks File Doctor can resolve the common issues related to the company file and network. It can fix the network issues that might be blocking the multi-user connection to the server. To run it:
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s website and save the file to your local computer.
- Next, open the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and install using the on-screen prompts.
- Now from within the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Company File Issues.
- Next, select QuickBooks File Doctor and let the tool diagnose and fix the network issues in multi-user mode.
- Once the tool finishes its task, try to access the data file to check if the QuickBooks error H202 is fixed. If not, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Rectify Your Firewall Settings
Improperly configured Firewall settings can prevent the internal and external communication ports of the QuickBooks application. In this case, you need to rectify your settings to allow the communication coming from the QuickBooks. To do so, you need to add QuickBooks ports as an exception on your Windows Firewall and Internet security settings so that they no more block QuickBooks services. Once done, try to open the company file from your workstation. If the QuickBooks error H202 persists, jump to the next solution.
Solution 3: Make Sure That the Essential QuickBooks Services Are Running
QuickBooks Database Server Manager enables you to share your company file with other workstations on a network. Besides, QBFCmonitorservice is another essential service in QuickBooks that enables it to run and access the database efficiently in Windows. If these services are disabled or not working properly, you may not be able to access a company file in the network. Verify that these services are running in QuickBooks.
- Firstly, hit the Windows menu on your server computer and write “Run” within the search area.
- As a result, it will launch the Run window on your screen. Herein, you must enter “services. msc” and then opt for the Ok button to proceed further.
- Now, you must look for the QuickBooksDBXX from the list of options and double-click on it. XX usually reflects the version of QuickBooks you are currently using.
- After this, choose Automatic as the Startup Type.
- You must ensure that the Service Status is set as Running or Started. If none of these options are selected, opt for the Start option.
- Furthermore, head toward the Recovery tab.
- Check that you have chosen the Restart the Service option from each drop-down menu: First Failure, Second Failure, and Subsequent Failure.
- Later, choose the Apply option and click Ok to restore the changes made.
- At last, you have to continue these steps again for the QBMonitorService.
Once you are done, launch QuickBooks on every workstation. For this, move to the File menu and opt for the Switch to Multi-user mode.
Solution 4. Rename the Network Data (.ND) & Transaction log File (.TLG) In QuickBooks
Renaming the ND and TLG file can also brings some positive results in getting the error resolved. Given below are the steps that you can follow to recreate a network data file in QuickBooks.
- Exit the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Thereon, navigate to the folder where the QuickBooks files are saved.
- Now, search there for the file with extension ending as “.ND”.
- After that, do a right click on the file name and then click on the “Rename” option.
- Moving ahead, add “.old” at the end of the name.
- Similarly, add “.old” at the end of the TLG file.
- Once you have renamed the ND and TLG files, then examine if the QuickBooks error code H202 has been resolved or not.
Solution 5. Relaunch the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
When there is an issue with the QuickBooks database server manager, it might lead to the QuickBooks error H202. In that case, restarting the service will help you to troubleshoot the problem.
So, given below are the steps that you can follow to restart the QuickBooks database server manager:
- Firstly, open the windows run command on your PC by pressing the “Windows + R” keys together.
- Type “services.msc” in the search box and then hit the enter button.
- After that, search there for the QuickBooks service, which is available in the format of QuickBooksDBXX, where XX stands for the year version you are using, and do a right click on it.
- Moving ahead, select the “Stop” option, and then again right-click to start it.
- After that, you must close the current window and then choose to display extensions for the known file types.
- Followed by the above steps, right-click on the windows start button and then click on “Explore” > “Tools” > “Folder.”
- Now, click on the “View” tab option and delete the hide extensions for the known file type.
- Again click on the “View” tab and then click on the “Show Hidden Files and Folders” option.
- After that, you have to delete the hide-protected operating system files, and a warning display message will appear on the screen.
- You must click on the “Yes” and “OK” options.
- At last, close the window file explore.
Solution 6: Ping Your Server From a Workstation To Verify the Network Issues
It is essential to ping your server from every workstation that is struggling with QuickBooks Error Code H202.
Stage 1: Enable the Network Discovery On your Server Computer
- Firstly, launch the Windows menu on both your server and workstation.
- Now, include “Networks” within the search field and launch the Network and Sharing Center.
- After this, choose the Change advanced sharing settings option and move further.
- You must verify that you have “Turn on Network Discovery” within the Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing sections.
Stage 2: Acquire Your Server Name From the Server
- Tap on the Windows menu on your server computer and insert “run” within the search field.
- It will launch the Run window on your computer screen. Herein, you must type “CMD” within the search area and hit the OK button.
- You will be displayed the Command Prompt window where you must insert “ipconfig/all” and hit the Enter key.
- Now, you must look for the Host Name within the Windows Configuration section. You will see that the server name is placed at the right-hand side.
- Finally, the user is supposed to copy the hostname to a Word document from where they can access it easily.
Stage 3: Verify the Network Connectivity:-
You must return back to your workstation to verify the server. Go through the following steps for proper understanding;
- Initially, hit the Windows menu from a workstation and type “Run” within the search field.
- As a result, it will launch the Run window on your computer screen.
- In the following window, insert “CMD” within the Run window and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Now, you are supposed to input “ping [your server name]” and press the Enter keys from your keyboard.
- Make sure that you won’t put any brackets around your server name.
- You are supposed to repeat the same steps for each pocket with no loss.
- If you get packet loss or a very slow, it reflects that your server is working absolutely fine.
Solution 7: Do the Proper Configuration of Firewall Settings On Your Server
Sometimes, your system firewall might interrupt the data exchange between the QuickBooks application and the server. In that scenario, you must apply the solutions below to configure the QuickBooks firewall settings.
- You are supposed to generate exceptions in the settings of your system firewall.
- After this, you must make the appropriate system firewall changes. Then launch QuickBooks on all of your computers.
- Now, in QuickBooks, you must pick the Switch to multi-user mode option located beneath the File menu.
Solution 8: Change the Location of Your Company File
Sometimes the issue with the location of the company file might lead to QuickBooks Error H202. So, to fix the issue, you must change the company file location by applying the steps below.
- Firstly, generate a new folder on your C: drive to store your QuickBooks data file.
- Now, you are supposed to pick the Company file and the .TLG file from the existing company file folder. Later on, hit the Ctrl + C keys altogether on your keyboard to copy the file.
- Furthermore, move to the Company File Folder and press the Ctrl + V keys to paste the data file.
- At last, you have to check whether you are able to open the file in multi-user mode.
Solution 9: Include Your Server in Your Windows Host File
- Begin the process by closing the QuickBooks application on your device if it’s already open.
- Launch the Windows menu on the server computer and then hit the Computer option.
- After this, you are supposed to move to any of the following data path:
- C:\ Windows\ System 32 \Drivers\ Etc.
- C:\ Windows\ Syswow 64 \ Drivers\ Etc.
- Soon after this, double-tap on the host file and opt for Notepad.
- You are supposed to insert the IP address followed by the computer name. Also, you may utilize the Tab key to enter space.
- Make sure that the server computer must consist of the workstation’s IP and computer name.
- Also, ensure that the workstation must have the computer’s IP as well as the computer name.
- Finally, try opening the QuickBooks application in multi-user mode and verify whether the issue still persists.
Solution 10: Include Services To Your Windows Admin Group On Your Server
If you haven’t given QuickBooksDBXX and QBFCMonitorService administrative permissions, give them the permissions.
For Windows 10 Users
- Initially, tap on the Windows menu and launch File Explorer on your device.
- After this, search and right-click on the folder that consists of your data file.
- You are supposed to click the Properties option > Sharing > Share Add.
- Now, you have to choose the corresponding QBDataServiceUserXX for your version.
- At last, you have to fix the permission levels for both users to Full Control. Later on, hit the Share option.
For Windows Server 2012 Users
- First of all, click on the Windows menu, write “Run” within the search area to bring up the Run command window.
- In the upcoming screen, type “ServerManager” and hit OK to proceed further.
- After that, choose the File and Storage Services followed by Shares option.
- From the Task drop-down menu, hover your cursor over the New Share option. It will display the list of File Share Profiles. You can also obtain more details about the difference between the profiles by tapping each profile and reading the description.
- Next, click on the SMB Share- Quick option.
- Go to the Share Location section, choose to Type a Customer Path, then search for the folder you want to share.
- At last, you must pick the appropriate folder and opt for the Select a folder. Then, hit the Next option to end the process.
As shown above, we have revealed some of the tested solutions that you can follow step-by-step to resolve QuickBooks error code H202. In a scenario, if the error still persists, then you can get in touch with our team of QuickBooks experts via mail at email@example.com. Our experts are available 24*7 around the clock to attend your query, and assisting you with the best possible solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How can I create a new folder for the QBW file to get the error H202 resolved?
A: Firstly, on your server PC, create a new folder and share the folder. Thereon, set up windows access permissions for sharing the company’s files. Now, copy and paste the QBW file into the new folder and launch the company file again in multi-user mode.
Q2. Does setting up the system firewall can also be a solution for getting the problem resolved?
A: For setting up the system firewall, create exceptions for the system firewall in the system. After that, make necessary changes in the firewall permissions and install the QuickBooks desktop in all the workstations. At last, switch to the multi-user mode through the file menu settings.
Q3. What are the symptoms of QuickBooks error code H202?
A: Below is the symptoms the users can identify when running on a Windows PC.
- Not able to switch to the multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
- A pop-up display message with error code H202.
- PC’s window is crashing.
- Facing problems while opening the QuickBooks company’s file.
Q4. How can I create a new folder for QuickBooks company’s file to eliminate the error code H202 QuickBooks?
A: Here are the steps you can execute to create a new folder for the QBW file.
- Firstly, create a new folder on your server computer.
- After that, you have to share and set up that folder and then allow windows access permissions to share the company’s files.
- Thereon, copy and move the QuickBooks company’s file to the newly created folder.