QuickBooks is an outstanding accounting software that lets users store and manage their accounting data. Besides, you can share your data files with multiple users along with password-protected access permissions. However, users can get an error when opening your QuickBooks company file in a multi-user environment. These errors are collectively represented by the H series error code. QuickBooks error H202 is a similar error you may get when working in multi-user mode. Read this post until the end to know how error H202 in QuickBooks occurs and what are its best troubleshooting solutions. Let’s start!
What Is QuickBooks Error H202?
In multi-user mode, the QuickBooks company file is stored on a server computer. The other user’s computers (known as workstations) are connected to the server. Workstations do not host the QuickBooks company file. If you are unable to open a company file from another computer, QuickBooks error H202 can take place. When opening a QuickBooks company file, you may see an error message on your screen that states:
Error Code: H202
The company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.
In addition to the error message, the pop-up box also explains the troubleshooting solutions to resolve the error.
What Gives Rise to QuickBooks Error Code H202?
Error code H202 in QuickBooks occurs when the program tries to establish a connection with the company file. Some of the main reasons behind the error are stated in the below-given list:
- Improper hosting configuration settings for the data file.
- When the incoming and outgoing communication is blocked by your system’s Firewall settings.
- QuickBooks is not able to get the IP address of the server hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- QuickBooks services, such as QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor are crucial for hosting the company file; however, can give an error when not running on your computer.
- Damaged Network Data (.ND) file in QuickBooks.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Message H202?
Below are some effective solutions that can help you in resolving QuickBooks multi-user mode error H202:
Solution 1: Utilize QuickBooks File Doctor for The Error Resolution
QuickBooks File Doctor can resolve the common issues related to the company file and network. It can fix the network issues that might be blocking the multi-user connection to the server. To run it:
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s website and save the file to your local computer.
- Next, open the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and install using the on-screen prompts.
- Now from within the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Company File Issues.
- Next, select QuickBooks File Doctor and let the tool diagnose and fix the network issues in multi-user mode.
- Once the tool finishes its task, try to access the data file to check if the QuickBooks error H202 is fixed. If not, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Rectify Your Firewall Settings
Improperly configured Firewall settings can prevent the internal and external communication ports of the QuickBooks application. In this case, you need to rectify your settings to allow the communication coming from the QuickBooks. To do so, you need to add QuickBooks ports as an exception on your Windows Firewall and Internet security settings so that they no more block QuickBooks services. Once done, try to open the company file from your workstation. If the QuickBooks error H202 persists, jump to the next solution.
Read also : QuickBooks Error H505
Solution 3: Make Sure That the Essential QuickBooks Services Are Running
QuickBooks Database Server Manager enables you to share your company file with other workstations on a network. Besides, QBFCmonitorservice is another essential service in QuickBooks that enables it to run and access the database efficiently in Windows. If these services are disabled or not working properly, you may not be able to access a company file in the network. Verify that these services are running in QuickBooks.
The solutions described in this post can help you in troubleshooting the QuickBooks error H202. If the error persists after suppressing the common factors behind the error, connect with our qualified QuickBooks professionals to get prompt support.