QuickBooks error 1406 is a technical issue in the program that occurs when performing a crucial task in the QuickBooks application. A conflicting application running in the background is one of the most apparent reasons behind this error.
When the error code crops up on your screen, you may not be able to accomplish an ongoing task in the program. There are several issues that can trigger this error in the QuickBooks application. To get rid of the QuickBooks error 1406, you need to fix all these reasons carefully. Let’s start!
Dealing with QuickBooks Desktop error 1406? Avail of the relevant assistance by dialing our helpline number +1855-603-0490.
What Is QuickBooks Error Message 1406?
QuickBooks error 1406 can take place due to multi-faceted reasons. When the error occurs, you will see an error message on your screen that states –
Error 1406: Could not write value to key.
In addition to this, the error message also tells you to verify if you have sufficient access to the key. When the error occurs, it can hamper your work progress. Therefore, you need to perform the right troubleshooting at the right time.
Also Read – Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error C-224
Why do I see Error Code 1406 in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks error code 1406 can take place due to several reasons. Some of the main reasons are explained in the below-given list:
- Corruption in the Windows registry is one of the main reasons behind this error.
- Other applications interfering with the QuickBooks program can also evoke the error.
- When you are not logged in as an admin in Windows.
- If the download location of QuickBooks is not accessible.
- When multiple users try to download QuickBooks at the same time.
- A corrupt Windows installer is also one of the apparent reasons behind the error.
What Are The Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1406?
When the QuickBooks error code 1406 occurs, you can determine it by the below-given symptoms:
- An error message, including the error code 1406, will appear on your screen.
- The system crashes now and then when performing a task.
- Sluggish performance of the system on mouse or keyboard inputs.
- The system shuts down all of a sudden while working in QuickBooks.
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks Error Code -6177, 0
How To Fix QuickBooks Error 1406?
After discussing the causes and symptoms of the error, we can finally move to the troubleshooting solutions to eliminate the error code 1406 in QuickBooks. Follow the below-given steps:
Solution 1: Disable Your Antivirus or Security Program Temporarily
The antivirus or security application running in the background can interfere with running QuickBooks processes, and therefore, you need to disable them temporarily. You can enable it once the task giving the error is fixed. The error can take place when you update your antivirus application. If this method doesn’t fix the QuickBooks error 1406, try the next method.
Solution 2: Utilize QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks install diagnostic tool is devised by Intuit to diagnose the issues related to the program installation and troubleshoot them.
- Download and QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit and save the file on your Desktop.
- Next, perform the on-screen instructions carefully to complete the installation.
- Agree to the terms and conditions, and you are not ready to put the tool to use.
- When in QuickBooks Tool Hub, navigate through the list of options and select Installation Issues.
- Here, you will get the option to run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Run it and wait for it to scan and repair the common installation issues related to the program.
- Once done, check if the QuickBooks error code 1406 is fixed or not.
If the error persists, try the third troubleshooting solution of this post.
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1646
Solution 3: Repair The Damaged Registry To Fix Error Code 1406
A damaged Windows registry is one of the main reasons behind this error. To repair it:
- Go to the Process tab and then press on the windows + R tabs together and open the Run window.
- After that, type in “Regedit” in the Run window.
- Next, hit the enter tab, and it will open the registry editor window.
- Now move to the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaSTOR registry key.
- Now conclude this process by repairing the registry.
Following these steps carefully, you can troubleshoot QuickBooks error 1406.
Solution 4: Update Windows To The Latest Release
If none of the above-described solutions fix the error, update your Windows to the latest release by following the steps described underneath:
- First, go to the Windows Update screen and enter the Update tab.
- Thereafter, click on the Windows Update icon to proceed further.
- Next, click the “Check for Updates” option to see if an update is available.
- If available, double-click the Windows update icon, and it will launch the Windows update window.
- Here, you can go for the required update and download them with a single click.
- After that, restart your computer and install the downloaded update on your computer.
- When the startup screen appears, launch QuickBooks and check the status of QuickBooks error 1406.
Also see – Resolve The QuickBooks Error Code 2107
The solutions discussed in this post can help you troubleshoot the QuickBooks error 1406. If you are having trouble performing these solutions or need professional assistance in error resolution, our experts can help. You can reach us by sending us an email or chatting with us. With the help of one-on-one assistance, you can get rid of QuickBooks error code 1406 with ease.