QuickBooks error 15106 is a common error in the program that comes from 15XXX series of errors. This error series mainly affects the update process of the application, and when it occurs, you may not be able to update QuickBooks or payroll. When updating QuickBooks payroll, you can receive an error message on your screen that reads:
Error 15106: The update program is damaged.
Error 15106: the update program cannot be opened.
This error mainly occurs due to the lack of administrative rights or Firewall restrictions blacking an update process. However, there can be multiple factors behind the error. If you want detailed information on QuickBooks error code 15106, read the full post.
What Is Error 15106 When Updating QuickBooks Payroll?
Windows Installer is important software that helps the install, uninstall and update process of QuickBooks and its update process on Windows OS. However, when it gets damaged or corrupt, you may not be able to update the QuickBooks as it starts giving errors. This QuickBooks error code is closely related to the damaged Windows Installer. Error 15106 crops up on the screen due to a damaged Installer when you try to update the payroll. When the error occurs, you need to take the necessary steps to suppress the possible factors and complete the update process without any obstacles.
What Are The Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106?
QuickBooks error 15106 can take place due to a number of the possible factors as stated in the below-given list:
- Partial installation of the QuickBooks application where the important components are missing, which are required in updating the program.
- Your WebRoot antivirus program perceives QuickBooks Installer as a potential threat and blocks it.
- When you try to update the QuickBooks with insufficient administrative rights.
- Windows UAC settings are set to High, interfering with the update process.
- Incorrect antivirus or anti-malware application settings can also hinder an update process causing QuickBooks error 15106.
Ways To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Code 15106
Stuck in the middle of the QuickBooks Payroll update? The below-described solutions can help you in the error resolution when followed carefully:
Solution 1: Login As An Administrator
- Click the Start button and then select Control Panel.
- Alternatively, you can open the run window (Windows + R) and type Control Panel, then hit Enter.
- Next, select User Accounts and Family Safety and then hit on User Accounts.
- After that, you need to click Manage another account and enter the admin password.
- You can easily locate the type of account right below the name of the account. If it is an administrator account, jump to the next solution. If not, ask your IT administrator to provide the administrative password to the user getting an error when updating QuickBooks payroll.
Solution 2: Reset QuickBooks Updates
If the error persists after opening QuickBooks with the administrative rights, reset QuickBooks updates by following the below-given steps:
- Launch QuickBooks and select Update QuickBooks located underneath the Help tab.
- Now from under the Options tab, select Mark all.
- Select Save and then go to the Update Now tab.
- Checkmark the box for Reset Update now and hit Get Updates.
- If you are still getting the error 15106 in QuickBooks Desktop, move to the next solution.
Solution 3: Repair Damaged Installation of QuickBooks
A partial or damaged installation of the QuickBooks application can also promote error 15106 when updating the QuickBooks application. Repairing the QuickBooks installation can help you in the error resolution.
- Press Windows + R keys together and type “appwiz.cpl” in the Run box, and hit Enter.
- When Uninstall or Change a Program window opens, locate and double-click QuickBooks.
- Select Change/Remove and then hit Next.
- Make sure that the Repair option is selected and then hit Next.
- Click on Repair, and it will start the repairing of QuickBooks installation crucial for the resolution of QuickBooks error 15106.
- If you see an error message “ File in use,” select Ignore and then move ahead with the Repair.
- Wait until the repair process is complete, and then open the QuickBooks program.
- In the end, select Install Now; when QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update window appears on the screen.
This post can help you in efficient troubleshooting of the payroll update error 15106 in QuickBooks. For further assistance, you can contact our QuickBooks experts by dialing our QuickBooks helpline number.