QuickBooks error 6138 can take place when a user tries to access the QuickBooks company file. In fact, all the errors in QuickBooks that falls in the error code series 6000 depict the same issue. This error mainly occurs due to the improper hosting configuration settings of the workstation. In this error, the file is hosted by the workstation and not the server computer. Only a server computer can host the company file to enable simultaneous access. There is a myriad of other possible reasons that can give rise to this error. Let’s read this post until the end to find all the primary causes and troubleshooting solutions for QuickBooks error code 6138.
Need to conquer QuickBooks error 6138, but not sure how? Give us a call at @+1-855-603-0490 and get instant help.
What Does QuickBooks Error 6138 Indicate?
When the error occurs, it shows an error message with the text –
Error Code -6138: “You do not have sufficient permissions to the specified folder.”
This error occurs when the hosting of the company file in a multi-user environment is not configured properly. The company file is hosted on the server computer with the help of the essential QuickBooks services, such as QBDBMgrN, and is accessed by the workstations (terminal computers). A damaged QuickBooks company file can also give birth to the QuickBooks error 6138. Listing and troubleshooting these reasons can be the best escape from this erroneous situation.
Common Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Desktop Error 6138
QuickBooks error 6138 can take place due to a myriad of possible reasons that are stated in the below-given list:
- When the company file is being hosted by a workstation and not the server computer.
- An unstable Internet connection hinders the download process of the QuickBooks update.
- Insufficient QuickBooks access permissions on the computer.
- The server computer doesn’t have the company file stored on it.
- Improper configuration of the Windows Firewall caused the error to take place.
- A damaged or corrupt QuickBooks company file can also give rise to this error.
- Using an outdated version of the QuickBooks application by the user.
- A virus or malware inviting bugs to the system.
If any of the following reasons are promoting error code 6138 in QuickBooks, high time to implement the troubleshooting solutions.
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks Error 1310
Symptoms of QuickBooks Company File Access Error 6138
QuickBooks error 6138 can be identified by the below-listed symptoms:
- You may not be able to access your data file.
- An error message containing the error code 6138 will show up on your screen.
- Sluggish or anomalous behavior of the Windows operating system.
- An active window will crash whenever you try to access the QuickBooks application.
How To Eliminate QuickBooks Error Message Code 6138?
After discussing the important aspects related to QuickBooks error 6138, let’s follow the proven solutions to eradicate the error:
Solution 1: Rectify The Hosting Settings On All Devices
Improperly configured hosting setting is one of the most common reasons behind this error. You need to check the hosting settings on all the workstations as well as on the server computer. Below are the steps:
1.1: On Your Server Computer
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop software on the host computer.
- Next, click the File tab and go to the Utilities option.
- When you see “Host Multi-User Access” in the menu, just hit this option.
- However, if it shows “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” it means the server computer is hosting the company file, and you don’t need to make any changes.
1.2: On The Workstations In The Network
- Open QuickBooks on the server computer and click the File menu.
- Now move down to the Utilities option and check for the available options.
- If it shows “Host Multi-User Access” don’t change anything.
- However, if you see the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” option, it means that the workstation is hosting the company file, and you need to stop it by choosing the given option.
Perform the same steps on all the workstations and again try to access the QuickBooks company file. If QuickBooks error 6138 is still not resolved, try the next solution.
Also Read – Fix QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006
Solution 2: Launch QuickBooks File Doctor From Within The Tool Hub
If a damaged QuickBooks company file is promoting the error 6138 in QuickBooks, QuickBooks File Doctor can detect and repair the data damage. You can run this tool by downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub. Below is how you will do it:
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website.
- Once installed, agree to the terms and conditions to put the tool to use.
- When in the QuickBooks Tool Hub, you will notice the different categories of the errors listed in it.
- Locate and click Company File Issues, and it will enable you to launch the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- File Doctor runs a scan on your data file to detect potential damage issues and fix them.
- It may take up to 20 minutes to finish the scan and repair process.
Once the company file is repaired, try to access it and check if the QuickBooks error 6138 is resolved or not.
The solutions described in this post can help users who are having trouble accessing their QuickBooks company files. Implementing the solutions described in this post can help you eradicate QuickBooks error 6138. If you are facing any difficulty or need additional help, our QuickBooks experts are available to help you via the chat section. Also, you can send us an email and ask us to give you a callback based on your time of availability.